THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Brittany/springer cross?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brittany/springer cross?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
Someone had an "accident" here a couple of years ago. Anymore accidents since then? We have had a Springer and just recently lost our French Brittany and a springer/brittany cross seems it would be a great combination.
Failing that anyone have a line on French Brittanys in the western US?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found similar type hunting dog cross's can make superb hunting dogs and companions.

Plus they can be had cheap a bonus.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you plan on hunting with the dog?

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
This is Bub,, 3/4 Springer & 1/4 Britanny. He was a great hunting dog all around, I brought him to Vermont for 2 falls in the 80's and he was the best grouse dog ever,, he retrieved ducks in Alaska and ptarmigan by the 100's.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Do you plan on hunting with the dog?

Absolutely. We have quail, doves and pigeons on our ranch. Plus there is nothing like a spaniel.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good luck, BT. I have had two Brittanies and I miss them terribly. There is not a more handsome athlete in the canine world. That said, my last gun dog likely will be one of the "ugly" dogs -- wirehair pointing griffon or pudelpointer.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

We have had pure springers and purer springers and even purer springers and a GSP/English pointer (accident) that is actually laying on my feet as I write this! She has a superb nose, goes all day and the some and will find game in the most tough circumstances! And she has attitude and makes us smile. Thats the German in her ! She was not planned but out of a GSP father and EP bitch in the Free State / RSA. She is 10 now and if I could clone her I would in the blink! Pure breeds are great but sometimes ' accidents ' are great too !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charlie, care to share a photo of your girl?

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie64,

accident are called Hybrid, usually get the best of most genetic traits but it is very hard to reproduce so therefore you have to practice inbreeding to reproduce those traits and in order to maintain those traits, you have to practice line-breeding.

Elhew pointer's are a fine example for research.

My ex bother in law had a dog that was "thee" best pointing dog I've ever come across to this day and believe it or not, it was a border collie cross german shorthair pointer "accident", the pup was free. Guess what? my ex brother never trained it, it was all HYBRID natural. But we never took it duck hunting because it did NOT like water even bathing time was a chore in the hot summer months.

You never know what kind of a freak you will end up with.

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer, I'm one of the lucky few who ended up with one of those Brittany-Springer pups. Daisy is 4 now, and has turned out to be everything I hoped for and far more than I could ask. It goes without saying she's much more than I deserve!

The kid who had the mother (I think) went into the coast guard shortly thereafter. I have his old contact info (and an email address, I think), if you want to try to reach him. But I suspect it was truly a 1 time shot.

The dog is truly great with kids & is as sweet as cotton candy. Her nose is always on the ground, and she's a nut for birds. When I have her in good shape, she'll hunt two or even 3 hard days in a row. She stays close in the field without reminding, and just goes back and forth, up and down the line of hunters.

I haven't taught the dog a thing, except to "come", along with the other basic commands.

She's kenneled outdoors and does magnificently, though I must say I built her the Taj Majal of kennels!

Most importantly, she's been a true blessing to my kids, at a time when they really needed her.

In hindsight, my only mistake was not buying a lottery ticket the day I picked her up!

I'll post a picture later. Good luck, and God bless,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Friar,
Thanks for the update. Sounds like a wonderful dog.

Have gun- Will travel

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Friar, that's a dream dog you have there.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Liam Mark Slattery
posted Hide Post
How do you post up a picture,have a beautiful Hungarian Visla X Rough Coated German Pointer,beard as well,powerful in water,etc. As gentle with children as you can get

Military Police

Posts: 32 | Location: Rep. of Ireland | Registered: 01 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
As a boy we had an Irish Setter x Golden Retriever 'accident' soft mouth keen nose and gentle heart and loved water.

I know have Rhodesian RB X NC Plott hound. I do not think I can ever own a dog now that isnt some Rhodesian.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Charlie64,

accident are called Hybrid, usually get the best of most genetic traits but it is very hard to reproduce so therefore you have to practice inbreeding to reproduce those traits and in order to maintain those traits, you have to practice line-breeding.

Actually, breeding two unrelated for trait is considered hybrid vigor. You certainly do not have to inbreed or line breed, as there is no guarantee of acquiring the desired traits.

Good luck to TS on finding thee cross you're looking for. I love my
Brittany but she could us a little more size like the Springer.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Actually, breeding two unrelated for trait is considered hybrid vigor. You certainly do not have to inbreed or line breed, as there is no guarantee of acquiring the desired traits."

Hybrid, Hybrid Vigor, Heterosis or even Heterotic is all the same meaning.

Why would you say something so stupid that 2 unrelated for trait is not hybrid but hybrid vigor???? That's like saying that he's not a negro but a African American!

So let's say that OKH_333 like another Rhodesian Ridgeback X Plott and you said no need to inbreed or line breed,
so how do you reproduce these traits? You can't!!!!!
Do a study on Deutsch Drahthaar, Deutsch Kurzhaar and even Pudelpointer.

Perhap's a read on Mendel Law's which is very basic college course work book for reproductive theory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would something so stupid be said?

I give up, why?

Hybrid would be the result(off spring) of your Brittany breeding with a coyote or wolf.

Hybrid Vigor refers to obtaining higher/highest quality results from said breeding.

I can only point out the nomenclature, I can't help you with absorbing it. Maybe you skipped that chapter?

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here you go RichardAsstin,

Check your fact's first before making any post in the near future. I don't have time to bitch with you, life's too short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosis