THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    600 yard rifle build NEED HELP PLEASE
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

600 yard rifle build NEED HELP PLEASE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't want a 700, you don't want a 308.

You want a Savage F class in 6.5/284.

A'int never been a 308 that can hold a candle to it for twice the price.

Check out the Savage factory team's record.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your new to competion shooting or like trigger time avoid the 6.5-284 unless you can get cheap barrels.

You will get excellent milage from a 308 and I cant rate the Savage Target rifles high enough, they really can shoot very well.

If you like a bit of colour in an stock, this is my new Dolphin stock,they have changed the forend to a more streamlined look for F Class but this works very well too

RUNAS

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Just my opine here, but before you spend a bunch of money on custom rifles and barrels, go get one of these or similar rifle.
Savage Rifles
If you don't like it, The sport or the gun, you can sell it! This rifle, or it's kin, will allow you to compete and get a feel for 600 yard shooting.

I agree. My 12FVSS kicks ass. I've been shooting at 500 and am pleased. Now I just need to swap my Nikon M-308 on it and see what it does out to 800

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe the 6.5x284 is a little hard on barrels but it will stay supersonic at 1,000 yards which the 308 will not.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
maybe the 6.5x284 is a little hard on barrels but it will stay supersonic at 1,000 yards which the 308 will not.

There are 1000s of Palma and High Power shooters that would disagree with the 308 statement, including me.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post