THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    600 yard rifle build NEED HELP PLEASE
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

600 yard rifle build NEED HELP PLEASE
 Login/Join

posted
i want to build a rifle for 600 yds.i want to go with rem 700 .308 What would be the best style and brand of barrel should i use.also what stock.i reload and was thinking of sierra 168 grain match king.if anyone knows of any good place in canada to go shopping please let me know thank you

Posts: 9 | Location: northern new brunswick | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend the 168s as a longer range bullet, just aren't very aerodynamic. Look at 155s, 175s, or 208s.

Barrel, probably something fat if you want to shoot many shots. Brand, doesn't matter really. Bartlein, Broughton, Kreiger, Pacnor, etc, all great.

Stock I'd look into Manners or McMillan and find which one you like best.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
I wouldn't recommend the 168s as a longer range bullet, just aren't very aerodynamic. Look at 155s, 175s, or 208s.

Barrel, probably something fat if you want to shoot many shots. Brand, doesn't matter really. Bartlein, Broughton, Kreiger, Pacnor, etc, all great.

bsflag

First of all, 600yds for paper punching is not that far and 168's should work well... provided that they shoot well in the rifle. Secondly, not all barrel manufacturers are the same! Cut vs button rifled can make a difference, especially if you plan on having the barrel fluted. While they both can shoot very accurately, It's my opinion that cut rifled barrels are more consistent. That being said go with Krieger, they are the cream of the crop. I would go with a SS 28'' Standard target or Palma contour with 1-11.25 twist.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
600 yards is plenty far enough to see the 168 SMK's inferiority to a bullet designed for longer ranges. It was designed as a 300 yard/meter match bullet and for that it's great, but why use something ballistically behind when odds are strongly in your favor that another bullet will shoot as well?

Cut rifled does generally last longer, and when you flute a cut or button rifled barrel does matter, but I had assumed that would be researched a bit. I do like Krieger, I had a lemon that kind of soured me on them, but I would generally note them as top notch.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
600 yards is plenty far enough to see the 168 SMK's inferiority to a bullet designed for longer ranges. It was designed as a 300 yard/meter match bullet and for that it's great, but why use something ballistically behind when odds are strongly in your favor that another bullet will shoot as well?

I will agree that 175's are better designed bullets for long range. That being said, its the barrel that dictates what will be used. Take my brother's LR rig; blueprinted Rem 700 in 30-06 with a 28'' Brux barrel 1-12 twist. That gun would be just over MOA at 500yds with every 180+ grain bullet I tried. The most accurate load I stumbled on was 130gr TTSX's, .6 MOA at 500yds....Weird

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.northshorebarrels.ca They have Pierce and Stiller actions. As well as Benchmark, Broughton and Kreiger barrels and benchrest stocks.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.hirschprecision.com is another shop full of goodies

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if you are an experienced shooter or not, but if you are the previous suggestions would all lead to a fine shooting rifle for 600yds. or beyond. If you are relatively new to the sport, I am not prone to advise folks to spend fortunes in the beginning but rather seek out one of Remington's PSS offerings in 308. Those rifles will deliver excellent accuracy and down the road you can alter/modify to about any level imagination/budget you have. As to barrels, Krieger is one of the better ones out there, used several, but at the same time used Douglas as well and frankly can't tell the difference in accuracy or life. Only fluted barrel used in some 40 plus years on an AR15 which came that way, did not specify it. As for twist, the 11+ is regarded as the ideal one, but have used 12 twist and both do fine. Always told the 12 twist would not stabilize the 190's but worked fine for me as well as the 155 and the 175. From my experience the 168 is not the common bullet used at matches w/ experienced shooters at Long Range(600yds. and beyond.) Again, if experienced build what you want, but until you wear out a barrel you won't know what works best for you and your type of shooting.
I always say that "it's not the wand, but the wizzard."

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just my opine here, but before you spend a bunch of money on custom rifles and barrels, go get one of these or similar rifle.
Savage Rifles
If you don't like it, The sport or the gun, you can sell it! This rifle, or it's kin, will allow you to compete and get a feel for 600 yard shooting.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Just my opine here, but before you spend a bunch of money on custom rifles and barrels, go get one of these or similar rifle.
Savage Rifles
If you don't like it, The sport or the gun, you can sell it! This rifle, or it's kin, will allow you to compete and get a feel for 600 yard shooting.

I hate to tell anyone not to build a rifle, just the looney in me. But, I have to say that the savage 12 FTR rifles are very capable and competitive. I have seen them compete with rifles costing 4x as much.
My next FTR rifle is going to be built on a BAT in a master class stock with a jewell and a broughton.......I have been told I could not shoot prone by my doctor, but I want a new f-class rig to give me incentive to get better.

Posts: 44 | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting prone matches or even F Class this is a good stock/chassis. I love mine in 6 BR

http://www.gotxring.com/high-power/

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek074.html

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
How much did that chassis cost you all painted up? Love the looks of a radical bright colored gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Eliseo chassis are pretty legit. I'm using one for a Palma build.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you use a 308 on the 700 long action you would be able to seat your bullets out to your lands and still cycle through the mag.

Posts: 265 | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much did that chassis cost you all painted up? Love the looks of a radical bright colored gun.

Tyler,

Powder coated and setup for High Power around $950.00.

They are great for High Power. The adjustments are infinite.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post