Find
Notify
Tools

Any love for 280 Rem or 7x64?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello folks,

Anyone got any love for the 7x64 or 280 Rem as long range rounds?

I'd very much like to work up a load for the my 7x64 shooting Amax or BErger VLDs. Anyone got any data?

KR,

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For long range shooting with rifles near 7mm I have 7mm RM's, a 270 WSM and a 7mm WSM. The 270 WSM is shooting best right now.

The 280 Rem never got off the ground and the 7X64 just is not in the USA so far.

Now that most agree that bullet construction matters more than 7mm vrs 270" many could make the old 270 Win do it.

The season is just about now. My 270 WSM just did not shoot well with 110 TTSX's.

My rifles are ready. My favorite is the 30-06 custom shooting 155 VLD's.

Posts: 980 | Registered: 16 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .280 Rem and have three of them. I like them a lot and shoot them well. I have no experience with the 7x64 but would think it is a fine choice.
The .280Rem has the option to go to .280 AI.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah the 280 AI does seem to have a following. I have a 7x64 and like it as a hunting round, just wondering if I could stretch its legs at Bisley s bit.

Also, as there is little data for the 7x64 I was wondering if I could transfer some of the data for 280 Rem over.

ATB,

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 7x64 Mannlicher–Schönauer, with its Leopold VX3 2-14 x 42 scope, I really have no problems shooting out to 400 yards and beyond.

There are many, many great 7mm bullets out there so you need to just tinker until you find something that your rifle likes - mine has an appetite for 150grn e-tips over IMR 4305

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Mannlicher!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mentioned Bisley and assume you are thinking more of match/target shooting than hunting, but often overlooked round is the Winchester 284 cartridge. It is a very efficient round and inherently accurate as well.
To gain flatter trajectory for long range,600-1000yds, many convert this round to 284/6.5 and is well known in long range shooter circles.
With either the 7mm or 6.5mm bullets you have excellent selection of bullets. Not sure you would have ready access to the Win.284 round in your part of the world, but think you would find the ballistics data on either one impressive for long range shooting. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Instructor:
You mentioned Bisley and assume you are thinking more of match/target shooting than hunting, but often overlooked round is the Winchester 284 cartridge. It is a very efficient round and inherently accurate as well.
To gain flatter trajectory for long range,600-1000yds, many convert this round to 284/6.5 and is well known in long range shooter circles.
With either the 7mm or 6.5mm bullets you have excellent selection of bullets. Not sure you would have ready access to the Win.284 round in your part of the world, but think you would find the ballistics data on either one impressive for long range shooting. Just a suggestion.

Hi Instructor, actually I'm trying to get my 24" barrelled 7x64 hunting rifle to shoot out to 1000yd. Heard of 284W and looks interesting but I don't want to change my rifle currently (Though I do like the way 7mm fly and perform on quarry)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I "built" two Ruger 280's...basically just did the wood, bedding and accurizing for family members...they shot very well, were excellent "meat" guns, did their jobs, velo's near 7mmRM with light and medium weight bullets. Just pull them out of the rack and go hunting for anything in season.

I also long throated a 284W...seated the bullets neck length deep and equaled many factory 7mmRM loads plus a bit. It shot just as well as ANY 7mm I've had or used. The only thing wrong with is was being chambered in a short action where you couldn't take full advantage of the powder space.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the mentioned cases.

Posts: 1211 | Registered: 25 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Built a 284 on a Rem 600 some years back. Extended the mag box and opened it up to accept col's up to 3.1". Probably one of the best lightweight LR rifles I have. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 280 AI, 257 AI, 300 WM, and 338 RUM for my LR shooting. All work well.

Posts: 3720 | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I haven't worked up loads for the 7x64, been shooting S&B 174gr.

Posts: 6386 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
I use the 280 AI, 257 AI, 300 WM, and 338 RUM for my LR shooting. All work well.

Nice combo. Got a 257 Roberts build coming.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I have 7x64 and .30-06 barrels for my Sauer 202. I've not really done LR shooting but have hunted a lot and shot 60 heads of big game between them and still can't differenciate them in terms of accuracy, killing power and trajectory. I would therefore be surprised if they'd behave differently in LR shooting.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi folks,

Found a load, N550 with Hornaday 162gr BTHP Match bullets.

Should be work well enough I think. Club as a 1000yd “gopher shoot” hit a 1 MOA gopher and you get badge. Be fun to try for that…

Scrummy