New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long range Shooting School
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody attended one ? Which one ? Any thoughts on one to go to ? How did your accuracy improve after the course ?

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went several year ago to the TZ Rifle & Pistol Academy in Whiteright, Texas.

The instructor is an ex-special forces guy from the Viet Nam era. It was very enlightening.

I took a straight out of the box Browning X-Bolt with no modifications. I was hitting the grapefruit sized orange dot painted on the gong every single time at 600 yards.

I can say that my confidence at shooting at those distances improved dramatically. I have used what I learned to make a few very long shots. Rocky Mountain big horn at 524 yards. Dall at 586. Marco Polo at 456. Stone sheep at 409. I just shot a whitetail with a muzzleloader at slightly less than 300 yards.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to SAAM and had a great experience. Well run, great setting, fired 400 rounds or more in 4 days. Best money I have spent on training.

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
One of the guys I work with (only met him today) told me he went to Gunwerks school and then ordered a rifle.

He said it was worth it on both counts.

I am considering doing a LE/Military 7 day long range course at Gunsite or the NRA.

Too many irons in the fire to take off a week like that right now.

You can also see about shooting F-Class, 1000 yard bench rest or PRS/Rifles Only competitions and use that as training. I have shot all three when I lived in Australia.

I'd like to get the face to face training some time.

There are a ton of options. The bigger ones are good, some of the smaller ones are probably ok.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies will check out what was recommended.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
have been to some good ones--
Have not been here , but a friend has-

https://kmprecisionrifletraining.com/about-us/

in your state it appears

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to Badlands Tactical in grandfield Oklahoma this past june. They have a web-site ,talk to the director Bobby Whittington. Great guy with a law enforcement & competitive shooting background. The tuition is very fair, you get to stay at their accommodations for free during the course and anytime thereafter if you're in the area (but its fairly remote in SW Oklahoma). The long range shooting course had me hitting the 600 yard gong with boring regularity by the 2nd day with a range set to 1000 (good enough for my hunting needs). This is not a fancy French wine & cheese experience like some places so it depends on your budget and expectations. But I learned ALOT and cannot recommend Bobby and his fellow instructors enough.

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with these guys (or any other course!) but a lot of folks on our range give this course great reviews.

Alaska Precision Rifle Course

Posts: 276 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am curious about these shooting schools.
1. How do you know where your bullets are impacting at long ranges? Do they have video cameras or are you just shooting at metal targets surrounded by dirt?
Do you shoot at various ranges so that you can "calibrate" your rifle/scope/load combination at various ranges?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can take any shooter out there and get him to bang the gongs at 500 yards after a few shots. I can even tell them the right wind hold at 800 and they can hit a pie plate.

Big deal.

Unless you can practice continually, you will never learn how the wind affects your bullets at really long range.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can take any shooter out there and get him to bang the gongs at 500 yards after a few shots. I can even tell them the right wind hold at 800 and they can hit a pie plate.

Big deal.

I agree. I am not talking about "walking the bullet in". I am talking about:
knowing what range your rifle is sighted in for
Knowing the distance of the target
Knowing the come up for that range
Estimating the wind and making the necessary windage adjustment
Having confidence in the first shot.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter:

I know I am sounding like a broken record, but if you want to get good at long range you must live in a place where you can practice constantly. I shot three times this past week at 800 and 1200, and once at 500.

A shooting school may teach you the basics, but it cannot teach you how to master the wind; only constant practice will do this. How many schools cover spin drift or aerodynamic jump? How many rangefinders even calculate this?

A shooting school might teach you how to read mirage but during that time it is sunny all day long. What happens when it is cloudy and there is no mirage?

What if you never see a 5 to 7 o'clock "switching" wind? IMO that is the toughest, esp when there is no mirage (my one "miss" this week was in such a condition - I hit 8 inches left at 800 yards).

I could go on and on, but my guess is by the time they cover the basics (come ups, etc) there is very little wind practice, and my guess is an instructor is probably standing there to tell you what the hold-off should be. Perhaps I am wrong.

Anyone can adjust after a first round miss and convince themselves they are pretty damn good. Being able to put the first shot on target is a whole different ball game, and it is 99% the wind. There just are not enough days in a shooting school to get experience with the first shot of the day.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Peter:

I know I am sounding like a broken record, but if you want to get good at long range you must live in a place where you can practice constantly. I shot three times this past week at 800 and 1200, and once at 500.

A shooting school may teach you the basics, but it cannot teach you how to master the wind; only constant practice will do this. How many schools cover spin drift or aerodynamic jump? How many rangefinders even calculate this?

A shooting school might teach you how to read mirage but during that time it is sunny all day long. What happens when it is cloudy and there is no mirage?

What if you never see a 5 to 7 o'clock "switching" wind? IMO that is the toughest, esp when there is no mirage (my one "miss" this week was in such a condition - I hit 8 inches left at 800 yards).

I could go on and on, but my guess is by the time they cover the basics (come ups, etc) there is very little wind practice, and my guess is an instructor is probably standing there to tell you what the hold-off should be. Perhaps I am wrong.

Anyone can adjust after a first round miss and convince themselves they are pretty damn good. Being able to put the first shot on target is a whole different ball game, and it is 99% the wind. There just are not enough days in a shooting school to get experience with the first shot of the day.

I went out Friday to my 300 yard range and there were a bunch of shooters who had moved the line to 100 yards and then 200 yards.

It is near impossible to shoot over 300 yard year round (rains and soggy roads) or not have cattle move across some places.

I am glad I have access to 300 yards.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can practice out to 1000 yards if needed. I'm interested in shooting consistently out to 600 yards and my range that I belong to has that ability. My line of work affords me ample time at the range to practice in all sorts of conditions. I'm looking for a school to help me become a better shooter. I agree you need to apply what you learn in school.

posted Hide Post
Hey, there has any shooting school in SC?

Posts: 8 | Location: SC | Registered: 06 December 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post