New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338 Edge Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Interested in loads for the .338 Edge shooting 300 gr SMK and Hornady 285 gr AMAX and BTHPs.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 grain SMK, 91 grains of H1000, 215M and Remington brass. The load was suggested to me by Shawn Carlock when I got my DE Canyon Rifle. 2850 fps out of a 30 Hart barrel.I did load it a bit hotter for awhile then backed off in the interest of brass life.

I have several friends that shoot the Edge and they all seem to have arrived at the same load, between 91 and 93 grains.

My first Edge would only take 87 grains in the Nosler brass, and gave a bit less than 2700 out of a 26" barrel.

The SMK crushes deer, and yet will exit moose. It does have the peculiar trait of dragging the lungs out the far side on occasion.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogleg:

Thanks for the note.

You wouldn't happen to have been at a wedding for your daughter in Hawaii about a month ago, would you? Your load and location sounds pretty familiar.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, my daughters are both un-married high school students.

Everyone that I know with an Edge uses basically the same load, plus or minus a grain. Some started with the 250 SMK but migrated over to the 300 and stayed there.Some have tried other loads, but always seem to come back. Part of that is likely due to stockpiled bullets.

I wonder who it is that you met? Chances are that either I know him or one of my friends do. The big .338 crowd up in Saskatchewan is rather small. The opportunities for using them are rather extensive.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
No, my daughters are both un-married high school students.

Everyone that I know with an Edge uses basically the same load, plus or minus a grain. Some started with the 250 SMK but migrated over to the 300 and stayed there.Some have tried other loads, but always seem to come back. Part of that is likely due to stockpiled bullets.

I wonder who it is that you met? Chances are that either I know him or one of my friends do. The big .338 crowd up in Saskatchewan is rather small. The opportunities for using them are rather extensive.

I will shoot you a PM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Dogleg

When loading for your .338 Edge did you notice any difference between the CCI-250 or 215M primer? I noticed you use the 215M and Shawn has CCI-250 for his loads, just curious. And for your COL are you right up against the lands with the 300 gr SMK or does the bullet prefer a jump?

Thanks for the help, and I apologize for hijacking this post.

Thanks

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with the CCI 250s, partly because Shawn recommended them and partly because in the previous component scare 215Ms were in short supply and I was preserving my stash. Since I had several thousand CCIs and it was a new work-up it made sense to use the CCIs. That worked out well until it got cold. At 30-40 below, I never had so many misfires in my life. The primers would light, but the powder wouldn't ignite. It would get scorched into a yellow mass that I had to scratch out of the cases with a nail. To make a long story short, I checked everything you can check on a rifle including going up to a 36 pound striker spring. When I changed over to the Federal stash the misfires went away.

This was with my previous rifle. My current rifle is one that Carlock built on a BAT action. I never tried CCIs in this one at all; if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Its shooting half minute at 1/2 mile so I'm just going to let it ride.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a full case of 860 (50BMG surplus) behind a 300SMK. This gets around 2700fps out of a 25" bbl. Not the fastest, but low pressure and more affordable than say retumbo, which is unavailable anyway. From memory I think I could fit 104gr in new brass and 106 in fired brass.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lefforge:
Hello Dogleg

When loading for your .338 Edge did you notice any difference between the CCI-250 or 215M primer? I noticed you use the 215M and Shawn has CCI-250 for his loads, just curious. And for your COL are you right up against the lands with the 300 gr SMK or does the bullet prefer a jump?

Thanks for the help, and I apologize for hijacking this post.

Thanks

Steve

Not hijacking the thread at all Steve; I would be interested. Just loaded my first batch about .008 off the lands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 300 grain SMK loads are 3.785", which is right on the lands.

There's always some room for interpretation for land distance. One man's "on the lands" is the next man's "jammed 30 thou". All I can say is that my measurement is touching with the slightest finger pressure.

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
My 338 edge is getting 2980 ft/sec average with a 30'' tube. I can get past 3000 if I sacrifice accuracy. I will agree with others, the powder to use for the edge is H1000. My pet load is 92.3gr H1000, 300gr Bergers, using a Fed 215 match mag primer.

Beyond Magpro and H1000, I haven't had a chance to experiment much.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
2980 FPS shooting 300 grains? You need to send your chrony in for repairs or buy a new one. I barely get 2800 FPS with my 29 inch barrel and semi flattened primers along with Berthram brass. 180 FPS is a big difference!
Who makes the barrel as well as the twist ratio.

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
2980 FPS shooting 300 grains? You need to send your chrony in for repairs or buy a new one. I barely get 2800 FPS with my 29 inch barrel and semi flattened primers along with Berthram brass. 180 FPS is a big difference!
Who makes the barrel as well as the twist ratio.

Different rifles produce different velocities. My 338 Lapau gets 2790 fps with 92 grains of H-1000 in Lapua brass and fed 215m primers in a 30" barrel

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Savage 338 Lapua got 2700 to 2750FPS as well, sold it for a profit was very disappointed with accuracy and velocity. Interesting learning lesson that didn't cost me but time but then again I love the smell of burnt powder, I surprised that nobody invented women purfume that smells like burnt gun powder!!!!!

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
My Savage 338 Lapua got 2700 to 2750FPS as well, sold it for a profit was very disappointed with accuracy and velocity. Interesting learning lesson that didn't cost me but time but then again I love the smell of burnt powder, I surprised that nobody invented women purfume that smells like burnt gun powder!!!!!

Mine is very accurate and very fast with 250 grain SMK's but just average wit the 300 SMK

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post