Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred forend rail?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I am going to install a rail on my McMillan A-5. What is the preferred rail, and how long does it need to be

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Anschutz rail from Champion Shooter Supply in Ohio. That way my smallbore handstops can fit. I run it all the way through to the end of the forend. I find it easier to slide the handstop in, as opposed to a dead-ended inlet with milled out entry points. I put the rear end of the rail about an inch forward of the front action screw. Make the depth of the inlet just a little shallower than the thickness of the rail so the handstop doesn’t scuff the stock finish.

Posts: 275 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have little aluminum 1913 rails on all the rifles I shoot off a bipod, and I have atlas/atras bipods that get swapped around and quickly attached as needed. A few rifles have flush cups in the fore end, so these have rails just long enough for the bipod. A few others don't have cups, so those have longer rails to mount both a bipod and a sling attachment or QD cup.

You can also get rails that have a cup built into them. Plenty of options here, just my 2¢

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all sounds very interesting! wish i knew what the hell you all are talking about. what caliber is that wood stocked rifle in the pic? love those wood stocks!

Posts: 1529 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post