THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    22 caliber at 1,000 feet question
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 caliber at 1,000 feet question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know it sounds crazy but I did it and I can find the old thread but I have a question.

I admit I'm no genius about this MOA stuff and wish I knew more about it but get along fine so far without it.

Years ago I posted the question, "what are the ballistics of a .22 shot at 1,000 yards?". I was told that if zeroed at 100 yards, I needed to aim 108" above the 1,000 yard target and a 1 mph cross wind would move the bullet 4". Now I did take the shots and 5 out of 10 shots hit a 22x22 target using that date.

Now I recently posted a very good 100 yard target I shot for load development on a 308 Facebook page and of course the trolls come out and shoot holes in your target sample (no pun intended) so as a demonstration of shooting ability I posted my 1,000 yard 22 experience and the trolls laughed and posted this MOA data: Path (inches) 32304; Elevation MOA 305.

I know MOA means minute of angle which I believe is 1". So this troll is trying to tell me that the bullet drops 305" over that distance. Now thinking about it, his graphic chart indicates shooting the shot with the barrel level to the ground, but I'm shooting 1058" high plus the additional height of the first 100 yards, so there's an arc. Am I correct in thinking that since I'm shooting at a considerable arc, the bullet travels up the arc, levels off still traveling then starts falling to hit the target shooting 108" above the target? I'm thinking it's got to be that because I hit the target.

Buy the way, I tried to post the chart the troll posted but it seems you can no longer post pictures here anymore, is that true or am I doing something wrong? It's been years since I posted.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 13 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yea I've got that. What I'm asking is how it is that MOA is over 300 while all I had to do is aim 108" high? That chart says at 1000 yards I would have to shoot 305" above the target yet I shot only 108" above and hit that target. Someone on this site gave me the 108" figure and it worked, how did it work when the MOA is 305? What don't I understand?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, the title should be 1,000 yard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not everyone who disagrees with you on the internet is a "troll."

Since you have not volunteered any information other than caliber, drop and zero, I'll assume the following: for a .22 rifle zeroed at 100yds with 108" drop at 1000yds I assume you're using a 90gr Berger VLD going 4000fps and you're shooting at 10,000' elevation at 100˚F and 100% humidity. If that's not the case then I think you need to go back to the range with a better tape measure or use an appropriate ballistic calculator to fill in the data that gives you better/more accurate estimation of drop.

The internet is rife with information. Make a really hot cup of coffee, sit and learn.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...cond_of_arc#Firearms

Stay the hell away from the acesuck.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
Not everyone who disagrees with you on the internet is a "troll."

Since you have not volunteered any information other than caliber, drop and zero, I'll assume the following: for a .22 rifle zeroed at 100yds with 108" drop at 1000yds I assume you're using a 90gr Berger VLD going 4000fps and you're shooting at 10,000' elevation at 100˚F and 100% humidity. If that's not the case then I think you need to go back to the range with a better tape measure or use an appropriate ballistic calculator to fill in the data that gives you better/more accurate estimation of drop.

The internet is rife with information. Make a really hot cup of coffee, sit and learn.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...cond_of_arc#Firearms

Stay the hell away from the acesuck.

Well maybe if you were part of the thread littered with trolls and knew what the troll conversations were about you'd not make such a stupid assumption.

So kind of you to not answer my question or maybe it's that you can't read or understand waht I asked. I really wasn't looking for a smart assed prick to scold me, just answer a question that has sufficient general information to be able to answer in general what I asked; I guess except for I have the misfortune of a smart assed prick like you.

Let me tell you the real story...I must have been shooting magic bullets. I did make the shot just as I was told by someone who wasn't a prick here and after firing 10 sots from a Ruger 10/22 bull barrel, I went down and found 5 bullet contacts with the target. So you have all the information, I was the only one on the range that day so they weren't stray bullets though as i turned my back to get into my truck to drive down to the targets, 5 woodpeckers could have made the 5 indentations on the target, Or maybe my measuring 108 inches above the bull I was off by 200 inches when I sighted in for the shots.

Thanks so much for your kind and informative response. I'll take not of your name and expect you to be the insulting bastard with a smart ass answer. I guess frankly it could very well be true that you don't have any more understand than I do and aren't qualified to answer my question.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
To settle this, how about you get some impacts on camera, with no cuts in the footage?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yea I've got that. What I'm asking is how it is that MOA is over 300 while all I had to do is aim 108" high? That chart says at 1000 yards I would have to shoot 305" above the target yet I shot only 108" above and hit that target. Someone on this site gave me the 108" figure and it worked, how did it work when the MOA is 305? What don't I understand?

My guess is: your aiming point was not actually 108" higher than your Point of impact if you were shooting a 22 long rifle cartridge. Yes you may have aimed at something 108" above the 2 foot target you where shooting at but the ballistics charts don't support the actual PoA and PoI being only 108" apart with a 10/22 Ruger shooting 22 LR.
I could further only guess so I think I'll stop here.
I would ask a question: How did you establish the 108" point of Aim at the 1000 yard target?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
quote:

My guess is: your aiming point was not actually 108" higher than your Point of impact if you were shooting a 22 long rifle cartridge. Yes you may have aimed at something 108" above the 2 foot target you where shooting at but the ballistics charts don't support the actual PoA and PoI being only 108" apart with a 10/22 Ruger shooting 22 LR.
I could further only guess so I think I'll stop here.
I would ask a question: How did you establish the 108" point of Aim at the 1000 yard target?

Thank you...

I got the 108" information from someone on this forum, that's why I came back to ask here. The guy who told me that said that if I was able to hit a 22x22" target at that distance I should throw a party, and I did. I guess I got some bad information that my bad measure and interpretation of that measurement won me a party because I did hit the target 5 out of 10 shots. People thought I was nuts having such a high powered scope for the gun but that shot was all I bought the gun for, I've hardly shot it since.

Thanks again for your kind response, that's what I've always experienced here.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Reading your last post, you included a 22x22' which indicates 22x22 foot target, not an 22 inch target as I assumed. If you aimed 108" above a 264" inch target, you could drop a few into it since 264" plus 108" is 372", within your 305 inch chart number.
regards,
Fury01

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
Reading your last post, you included a 22x22' which indicates 22x22 foot target, not an 22 inch target as I assumed. If you aimed 108" above a 264" inch target, you could drop a few into it since 264" plus 108" is 372", within your 305 inch chart number.
regards,
Fury01

Whoops my mistake and I made the correction, it was a 22x22" targete. I failed to hit the shift key.

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Since you dont give many data i will throw some WAG.

Standard 22LR 40 grain bullet with a BC of .125 going 1200fps.

Sighted in at 100yds drop at 1000yds is a boatload and speed is 102fps.
At 500yds POA the drop is still of the chart but the top arc is @ 340" at 300yds.
At 700yds POA the drop at 1000 is roughly 10000"~278yds
At 800yds POA the arc is over 2200" at 520yds and 1000yds drop is @7600"~211yds
Oh and did i mention that time of flight is @11.2 seconds to 1000yds. Drop a bullet and wait 11.2 seconds and it has dropped a loooooong wyt.
At 900yds POA the arc is over 3900"~108yds and the drop to 1000yds is still 4600"~127yds
Sighted in at 990yds the drop at 1000yds is 542"~15yds. Thats just 10 yards further yet the bullet drops 15 yards!

If you're dead on at 1000yards then the arc height is greater than 6800" (thats 556feet, 189yards, and just shy of 1/4 mile)

If you give better data we can give better calculations!

PS: MOA is minute of angle. 360deg all the way around devided with 60 to get miutes. So there is 21600 arc minutes to a full circle and one of then is roughly 1" at 100yards thus 10" at 1000yards.
http://nssf.org/video/facts/moa.cfm

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:
Since you dont give many data i will throw some WAG.

Standard 22LR 40 grain bullet with a BC of .125 going 1200fps.

Sighted in at 100yds drop at 1000yds is a boatload and speed is 102fps.
At 500yds POA the drop is still of the chart but the top arc is @ 340" at 300yds.
At 700yds POA the drop at 1000 is roughly 10000"~278yds
At 800yds POA the arc is over 2200" at 520yds and 1000yds drop is @7600"~211yds
Oh and did i mention that time of flight is @11.2 seconds to 1000yds. Drop a bullet and wait 11.2 seconds and it has dropped a loooooong wyt.
At 900yds POA the arc is over 3900"~108yds and the drop to 1000yds is still 4600"~127yds
Sighted in at 990yds the drop at 1000yds is 542"~15yds. Thats just 10 yards further yet the bullet drops 15 yards!

If you're dead on at 1000yards then the arc height is greater than 6800" (thats 556feet, 189yards, and just shy of 1/4 mile)

If you give better data we can give better calculations!

PS: MOA is minute of angle. 360deg all the way around devided with 60 to get miutes. So there is 21600 arc minutes to a full circle and one of then is roughly 1" at 100yards thus 10" at 1000yards.
http://nssf.org/video/facts/moa.cfm

WOW thanks, CLEARLY I messed up on my 108" rise above the target when I shot it. I also see now my confusion with MOA. I did understand it was Minute of Angle which equaled an inch but my thinking I got good information with the "108" above" which with me obviously misjudging considerable making it work, true MOA went out the window since it didn't match up. If people truly read and understood my original post, which the last 2 posted did, they could definitely see a mismatch and explain it like the last two of you did.

SO knowing now that I know the false information that I screwed up royally, successfully hitting the target thinking I accomplished that with the false information, I can now grasp the truth about MOA. When the two didn't mix and someone told me my figures were false I naturally argued with it since all I knew was my shot worked.

Makes perfect sense to me now that I couldn't understand MOA when I had a false impression about a successful shot with bad information worked.

When I read this post it's kind of confusing to me but it does depict my struggle with MOA.

Thank you very much for your very detailed explanation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with the trolls!

Posts: 265 | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
I am with the trolls!

Well glad you're keeping to yourself then. Thank You