New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope and reticle advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend had that exact scope and reticle on a Baer .264 AR. He had it in heavy Baer mounts on his rifle. Definitely not a QD option.

He loved it. His gig was shooting clay pigeons as reactive targets.

I shot it a few times. I'm not a great shot, but it was fun to be able to shoot a clay pigeon 6 times and break off chunks of it at 550 yards in a called fashion.

My heavy long range plinking gun is a .308, and I have the bigger NSX on it with the mildot reticle. Its a lot busier and not as good target shooting option for ammo testing (its more for PRS type stuff for me- but was designed around sniping.)

The pros are that its a very uncluttered reticle. The scope is repeatable. Good glass quality.

Cons-
very heavy scope.
difficult to acquire targets at range due to small FOV.
price.

In your case, the scope might outweigh the barrel.

I am not sure how well a QD mount will hold up with that heavy a scope for fine adjustment. QD means that there is movement by design.

In your case, I'd say that you will probably be very happy with the scope- but that your ideas as to what is really accurate might change.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I am leaning towards getting a nightforce br 12-42x scope

https://www.nightforceoptics.c...n-benchrest-12-42x56

I am leaning towards this reticle

https://www.nightforceoptics.c...ane/np-2ddtm-reticle

Has anyone used this scope or reticle.

I want to use it as a target scope on a blaser saddle mount and move it between r8 and k95 barrels.

Right now I am using a Zeiss conquest 3-10 that came with a blaser package. It’s a good scope and adjusted a ton to shoot new barrels as I acquire the final scope for barrel.

I am going to be shooting at 100/200/300 meters. The scope will be adjusted a lot cause i keep trying new factory ammo.

Thanks for any info/advice/thoughts.

Mike

Yes Sir,
I have owned/shot a couple of the 12-42.
They were actually designed for Benchrest .

While there are Benchrest matches at longer distances (500, 1000)
The vast majority are 100, 200 300.

The amount of mirage at the longer ranges (500+) will very likely limit the effective use of the higher power this scope provides/.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post