Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am leaning towards getting a nightforce br 12-42x scope

https://www.nightforceoptics.c...n-benchrest-12-42x56

I am leaning towards this reticle

https://www.nightforceoptics.c...ane/np-2ddtm-reticle

Has anyone used this scope or reticle.

I want to use it as a target scope on a blaser saddle mount and move it between r8 and k95 barrels.

Right now I am using a Zeiss conquest 3-10 that came with a blaser package. It’s a good scope and adjusted a ton to shoot new barrels as I acquire the final scope for barrel.

I am going to be shooting at 100/200/300 meters. The scope will be adjusted a lot cause i keep trying new factory ammo.

Thanks for any info/advice/thoughts.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a NF fanatic. Yes, they are heavy, but utterly reliable when it comes to clicking and not having loose turret screws (the bane of older Leupold target scopes).

I shoot at 1200 yards with mine all the time; a scope that tops out at 22 or 25X is plenty when it comes to aiming at my 3 inch aiming circle.

Go with the MOAR-T reticle.

The side parallax is excellent for determining mirage/estimating wind drift.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a lot of magnification for 300m. I've never used a reticle like that. I prefer reticles with hash marks to hold for wind or elevation. If you plan to dial for everything, then maybe a less cluttered reticle is better? The NF turrets should be trustworthy for a lot of dialing.

Those are my thoughts, but it's really up to you and your preferences.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
That is a lot of magnification for 300m. I've never used a reticle like that. I prefer reticles with hash marks to hold for wind or elevation. If you plan to dial for everything, then maybe a less cluttered reticle is better? The NF turrets should be trustworthy for a lot of dialing.

Those are my thoughts, but it's really up to you and your preferences.

I dial for elevation but hold for windage. I focus my parallax halfway between me and the target to see mirage, then when I see the prevailing wind condition, dial it back to focus and shoot. Dialing for wind is not a great idea; I used to but someone on AR convinced me to change - a good lesson.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I am leaning towards getting a nightforce br 12-42x scope

https://www.nightforceoptics.c...n-benchrest-12-42x56

I am leaning towards this reticle

https://www.nightforceoptics.c...ane/np-2ddtm-reticle

Has anyone used this scope or reticle.

I want to use it as a target scope on a blaser saddle mount and move it between r8 and k95 barrels.

Right now I am using a Zeiss conquest 3-10 that came with a blaser package. It’s a good scope and adjusted a ton to shoot new barrels as I acquire the final scope for barrel.

I am going to be shooting at 100/200/300 meters. The scope will be adjusted a lot cause i keep trying new factory ammo.

Thanks for any info/advice/thoughts.

Mike

I had that scope with that reticle and shot it to 500 meters a lot and further out less often. The 2DD reticle is my favorite for target shooting. I used it at 100/200 and liked it, but didnt stick with it because I couldnt make weight on my light rifle with that scope.

Like AnotherAZWriter, I dial elevation and hold wind. I find the floating dot with the outriggers works very well for hold offs to 500 meters. Actually I never had any issues with hold off to 900 meters on an F Class target, though I did not shoot past 500 too often.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dial elevation and hold wind like others, which is by far the most common and effective way to roll. 42x is way too much magnification for 300yd shooting, which isn't long range anyway. I like the MilC reticle and prefer mils, but lots of friends like the MOAR and prefer MOA.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
At one time, this scope was one of the most popular scopes worn on HV (13.5 lb) Benchrest rifles. It’s still in use today, though there’s a lot more of options out there now. It’s is a heavy scope for sure. Scopes as high as 60 power are commonly used at 100, 200, 300, and beyond on BR rifles. Most of the scopes in use are fixed power. The nice thing about a variable of high magnification, is the ability to lower the power when the mirage is up, clearing up the sight picture. This comes in handy as the distance increases.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
I dial elevation and hold wind like others, which is by far the most common and effective way to roll. 42x is way too much magnification for 300yd shooting, which isn't long range anyway. I like the MilC reticle and prefer mils, but lots of friends like the MOAR and prefer MOA.

Mate, it depends on the game you are playing. If the target is small enough or the hold required to win precise enough, then magnification helps. I ran 36 power at 50 yards on my rimfire. I shoot 100/200 with 48 power. Thats what it takes to win that game. In other shooting disciplines, magnification is not so important. As usual, one size does not fit all.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, with due respect. You have accurate hunting rifles that are designed for field use. It is nice to see how tight you can make the groups go. Practicality wise, your rifles are not heavy bench rest rifles designed for less than .1” groups with no other factors important. With Florida’s weather, I am not so sure you can take full advantage of the scopes power. You will be limited to select days and you will be under the mercy of mother nature. Night Force is a top tier scope, but I would pick a model with less power.
Look up benchrest matches in your area, attend and talk to the participants about their gear. Many are cordial and will let you look through and help in scope and reticle type decisions. You have to find out what’s best for you.
One of the biggest aspects of accurate shooting that is not neglected by the benchrest crowd, is a top quality front rifle rest and rear support. Look up Sinclair International and browse their offerings.
The under appreciated but true pioneers of the accuracy game are the original wild caters/ benchrest crowd. They pushed the envelope and upped everybody’s game. Find one who will mentor you in choosing equipment, bench techniques, reloading etc.. it will open a whole new world. All of us have room to learn. You already have a good scope, throwing money at a new one, will not produce as much dividend.
No matter what course of action you take, best of luck to you.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
I agree with mlfguns. I have that scope with 2DD reticle, but use it for F-class shooting a 1000 yards. There are better Nightforce scopes for hunting

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
quote:

Mate, it depends on the game you are playing. If the target is small enough or the hold required to win precise enough, then magnification helps. I ran 36 power at 50 yards on my rimfire. I shoot 100/200 with 48 power. Thats what it takes to win that game. In other shooting disciplines, magnification is not so important. As usual, one size does not fit all.

For ranges out to 300 yds? Can't agree with you based on this.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
quote:

For ranges out to 300 yds? Can't agree with you based on this.

You dont have to agree with me. I was just taking exception to a blanket statement you made about flat out not needing magnification.

Obviously you are welcome to run whatever scope you want, for whatever circumstances you see fit. But you are clearly not shooting in the matches I am.

And in my experience, in SOME circumstances magnification helps to win. I would agree that in many cases today, the average person is over scoped. But that does not mean there is never a need for high magnification scopes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love all this " you don't need all that magnification at that distance " stuff............

I shoot a fixed 45x at 100 yards , a lot, most don't know what small groups are, especially consistent small groups......

Lots of difference between hunting accuracy and accuracy....

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
For ammo testing higher power is nicer for what most consider normal big game hunting ranges 0 to 500.

I have found 3x9 4x12s work very well.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Nightforce 8x32x56 np-r2 20moa ken Farrell base
works for me

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post