Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray in Wenatchee:
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
All the above posts are good solutions/questions but it appears that "gene so" isn't interested in what anyone has to say.

Why would a guy go to the trouble to post a problem and then never respond again?

Zeke

Gotta wait until next year to find out, 5 posts in 5 years (hahahaha)

He might have blown himself up dancing

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
give the guy a break. Maybe he's just pacing himself.
On the other note, if it's a new barrel, could it have a short chamber?
We'll find out next year fer shore.

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gene so:
Hello,

I have a new rifle setup for long range prone shooting. A Rem. 700 long action, Bartelin 30 inch barrel, 1-9 twist, Jewell trigger, 8x32 NightForce scope, B&C prone stock, in .284 Winchester. The long action enables seating the 162 grain A Max bullets "out".

This barrel loves 57 grains of 4831sc, in Lapua cases with CCI BR2 primers. The chronograph tells me that with a recent group the velocity was 2,832-8 fps for 5 shots. That group went into .287 at 100 yds. A problem?-YES! I had to beat three cases out of the chamber with my cleaning rod.

Reluctantly I reduced this load to 56 grains which drops the velocity to 2,780's. I have just returned from the range sighting in at 600 and I have a case stuck with this load.

The bolt has a speed spring in it for faster lock time and cocking is noticeably harder. I certainly can live with this if I could get those fired cases extracted and ejected. I keep the bolt lubricated; especially the cocking cam portion.

Any ideas? It would seem almost silly to keep reducing the load in a 30 inch barrel since shorter barrels are producing the velocity I am presently at now.

Thank you in advance for your attention in this matter.

Gene S.

Okay, I had a similar problem with a 700 SA after playing with different firing pin springs. What happened was that the pin that holds the cocking piece to the firing pin wiggled to one side and was binding as the cocking piece moved rearwards, realignment of the pin was all that was needed to rectify the issue, although it took me a while to figure out what was causing the binding.

Hope this helps someone out with similar issues.

Cheers.

Posts: 682 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It does perturb me as well to try to help a misguided soul here on AR, and then they either never read it, or at least never bother to respond. I just have to assume that they have more pressing issues. But then, don't bother posting the problem.
Now, it could be that my advice is crap, but they could at least tell me that too, couldn't they?

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It does perturb me as well to try to help a misguided soul here on AR, and then they either never read it, or at least never bother to respond. I just have to assume that they have more pressing issues. But then, don't bother posting the problem.
Now, it could be that my advice is crap, but they could at least tell me that too, couldn't they?

I agree, you try to help a guy and not a thanks or kiss his ass. A lot of people in this new age are like that.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

I agree, you try to help a guy and not a thanks or kiss his ass. A lot of people in this new age are like that.

Could not of agree more with the both of you. Sometimes I think people just invent problems to see if arguments starts to fly. If they truly had an issue the least they should do is to come back and say what worked or didn't work.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6590 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gene so:
Hello,

I have a new rifle setup for long range prone shooting. A Rem. 700 long action, Bartelin 30 inch barrel, 1-9 twist, Jewell trigger, 8x32 NightForce scope, B&C prone stock, in .284 Winchester. The long action enables seating the 162 grain A Max bullets "out".

This barrel loves 57 grains of 4831sc, in Lapua cases with CCI BR2 primers. The chronograph tells me that with a recent group the velocity was 2,832-8 fps for 5 shots. That group went into .287 at 100 yds. A problem?-YES! I had to beat three cases out of the chamber with my cleaning rod.

Reluctantly I reduced this load to 56 grains which drops the velocity to 2,780's. I have just returned from the range sighting in at 600 and I have a case stuck with this load.

The bolt has a speed spring in it for faster lock time and cocking is noticeably harder. I certainly can live with this if I could get those fired cases extracted and ejected. I keep the bolt lubricated; especially the cocking cam portion.

Any ideas? It would seem almost silly to keep reducing the load in a 30 inch barrel since shorter barrels are producing the velocity I am presently at now.

Thank you in advance for your attention in this matter.

Gene S.

I had a lot of issues using Lapua 6.5 X 284 brass in my 6.5 X 284 reamed for Winchester brass. Lapua is larger
at base, and longer. Enough that I had similar issues. Try Winchester 284 brass and see if it persists. Take
a resized case and a felt pen, mark the resized case with pen. Chamber several times and check for rub marks
should tell you if case is getting resized enough.

kk alaska

Posts: 950 | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad you chose to use a 700 rather than a Savage action, but that aside, if you want to shoot hot loads in a 700 the ONLY solution is have a SAKO extractor fitted. My 244 H&H ( a hot, hot cartridge) tore two extractors right out of the 700 Bolt. I finally wised up, had a SAKO put in and ZERO problems. Yes I know it compromised the "three rings of steel" BS but it's no worse than 1000s of controlled feed rifles out there.
In fact the last 244 H&H I saw was a Rigby in the H&H gunroom in NY. Judging from the throat erosion and general condition it had been shot quite a bit. The action ? A pre WWII Mauser 98 that had been opened up to accept the longer round. Note that "real" 244 H&Hs use a .240 bullet whereas mine was built for .243/4 bullets.

Posts: 122 | Registered: 26 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use either a Savage or a Socko extractor. He ain't got an extractor problem. If you are not comfortable with your extractor use a M16.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd take a look at the chamber. There was a bit of trend here to ever tighter chambers. First it was minimum, then when that wasn't good enough guys went to reduced bodies from there because they were horrified if there was any sign of expansion on the fired cases. Any-time something seems like a good idea there will always be someone who takes it too far. Full length die sets didn't even nudge the case, and small base dies were barely enough. I got a couple .300s rebarrelled that would have extraction problems far before there were any pressure signs. Take them back, polish the chambers, play with the extractors. Finally I just told him to rechamber with anything that resembled SAAMI spec. That fixed things right up, and if there was any difference in accuracy you couldn't tell by me.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing that has gone by the boards is that according to the Hodgson website both your loads are over max for a 162 gr Hornady bullet. They list 55 as max in a compressed load. You can go to 58 with a 168 SMK with H 4831. You can get higher velocity with lower pressure with Hybrid 100V and probably Superperformance as well.

In any case the only time I have seen 700 extractors fail or actually ripped out of the bolt is in very, very hot loads as with the 244 H&H or 22-244 IMP. Both, as yours, had l-o-n-g barrels, conventional rifling and were not Nitrided.

The M16 extractor is generally used for cases with small head diameters like the 223. The SAKO styles is used for cartridges with 7x57 or larger head sizes.

Inofar as Savages go ..... funny how their factory team is cleaning up F Class and anyone who actually owns one knows they are out of the box sub MOA rifles, even in cartridges like the (sadly discontinued) 375 H&H and 9.3x62.
Rather like Packards: "ask the man who own one."

Step one is always to do a chamber cast or several of the rifle's chamber and your sizing die (If you are using regular FL dies). Compare both to each other and whatever spec your chamber was cut to. Probably would not hurt to put a borescope in there as well to look for the obvious.

Press on, there is an answer out there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The M16 extractor is generally used for cases with small head diameters like the 223. The SAKO styles is used for cartridges with 7x57 or larger head sizes.

Where did you come up with this this?

This type works very well on my Grandson's 6X47 Lapua.

posted Hide Post
He asked a interesting question and even though he never came back for the answer i can say i learned some thing from the reply's.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 08 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That what Tubbs people told me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the cases are stuck in the chamber, it really has nothing to do with the extractor

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post