THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    long range wolf hunting....any interest.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

long range wolf hunting....any interest.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Heh guys after hosting a number of avid long range shooters the past couple years we have had a lot of discussion about increasing the odds of successful wolf hunts.
The idea is have the bait 600-700 yards from the heated blind and provide a prone shooting platform in the blind.
These bait sites will be pre baited 30 days prior to hunting .
Just want to know if there is any interest the price would be $4500 plus license tags tax and WCF. the hunts would be 6 days in length.

Give me your feedback.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'd have interest in that.
I'll cogitate on that for a bit and see if the budget will allow it in the next couple years.
I've had my eye on your previous AR postings so I'd feel comfortable with your legitimacy.

Is the distance to increase the odds or is it to simply increase the range? I ask since I'd be more interested in getting one than bragging about the range since I already brag about shooting 600 yards every week! LOL

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Yes, I'd have interest in that.
I'll cogitate on that for a bit and see if the budget will allow it in the next couple years.
I've had my eye on your previous AR postings so I'd feel comfortable with your legitimacy.

Is the distance to increase the odds or is it to simply increase the range? I ask since I'd be more interested in getting one than bragging about the range since I already brag about shooting 600 yards every week! LOL

Zeke

The idea of the extended range is to increase odds.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figured that was the reason. Thanks!

My hunting bud called you on the phone and chatted with you after I shared your contact info with him.

Interesting deal and worth a serious look, for sure.

Thanks Doug, again
Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck finding people who can shoot accurately at that distance, especially under pressure. Big Grin Gotta wonder why ?

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
Good luck finding people who can shoot accurately at that distance, especially under pressure. Big Grin Gotta wonder why ?

Grizz

I guess we will see about that. Only one way to find out. Everyone I talk to say they can make those shots all day long at 600 to 700. I have never shot out past 400.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:

Grizz

You can practice by going to Palma and F class shooting competitions. If you know the exact range holding 1 MOA at 600 yards is not that difficult.

I feel more pressure trying to get that 20th shot in a row into the 10 ring at 1,000 yards than I do hunting.

I know it isn't a wolf but I took this coyote at 732 yards.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you shoot that one on the way to work or something Frank ? Or is that typical hunt wear for the average Californian Coyote hunter ? Big Grin

Damn impressive shot anyway. I remember you told me about it.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i do believe that the best shots are the prairie doggers - they shoot alot at various ranges and wind conditions - and as they say practice makes perfect

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Did you shoot that one on the way to work or something Frank ? Or is that typical hunt wear for the average Californian Coyote hunter ? Big Grin

Damn impressive shot anyway. I remember you told me about it.

Nah Grant, those are hunting clothes in Wyoming. We were shooting prairie dogs and this little female coyote was watching from the top of the hill almost half a mile away so I shot her.

I have to dress a lot more formally for work. Wink

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some good conversation, keep it coming everyone's opinion counts.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have reservations about taking trophy game animals out of the gene pool only by virtue of shooting long range. However, taking out predators because of that capability strikes me as a great idea! The right set up and shooter should dramatically increase the chance of taking wolves. Kind of reminds me of ole Elmer Keith shooting a aged horse in late fall and shooting coyotes off the corpse all winter.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
The price turned me off?

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
The price turned me off?

That is fine, I am not in it for my health Slider.

Pre baiting for a month in advance, is not cheap, neither is the guide who has to sit with the client for 6 days.
Put in Food, lodging, pick up and drop off at the airport, 6 hours round trip and you can see the price is justified.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
You asked for Feedback?

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post