THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    What caliber for marco polo hunt
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What caliber for marco polo hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I didn't feel undergunned at all with the 270WSM.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
For me the choice would be all about rifle portability, recoil, downrange energy and above all wind drift; so for what its worth my personal choice would be some flavour of 7mm mag with a 162gr or 168gr bullet.

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul W:
I faced a similar dilema last year for my sheep hunt. i bought a used Winchester chambered in .300 wby. I spent a lot of time on the range but never got really comfortable with my ability to shoot long distances because of the kick. when i finally saw the sheep he was 600+ yds away and i declined the shot. next year i am going back with a .270 winchester. i recently bought a tikka t3 lite in that caliber and i plan to spend a lot more time on the range before i go.

I love the 270 and have had one or another for over 40 years. It was the first purchase for me with my own worked for money.

In my younger years any thing big or big hunt I went on I had the 300 Weatherby Mag Mark V. Later I moved on to the 338 Win Mag but I never shot it all that consistently. One reason is that it beat the fire out of me on the bench.

I came back t0 the 7MM Rem Mag and it really helped me. So while a 270 will get it done, I think a 7mm, at least for me offers that little bit extra for very little extra recoil. Mine is somewhat heavier though as are most of my rifles.

On that same note, I found the Model 70 416 Rem Mag was actually better than that Sako 338 Win Mag that nad tormented me and punished me , so when I simplified my 2 rifle battery became 7mm and 416. My 3 rifle set became 270, 7mm and the 416. Wink

Probably if I had it to all over, and I had the quality loading set up that I have today I would just have a 280. You might try one if you can.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot one Marco Polo ( starting at 330 ending at 440 yards ) and two Ibex ( 574 and 295 yards ) with 7 mm Rem Mag and one ibex with 300 Win Mag ( 220 yards ) Both calibers did the job even in strong wind. Trophy Bonded or Nosler AccuBond 150 - 180 grains will do.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post