THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    What caliber for marco polo hunt
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What caliber for marco polo hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning on hunting marco polo and ibex next year. Have to be able to shoot up to 500 yards they tell me. I have a 300 win mag and 30-06. Looking at a sako A7 in 270 to purchase for the hunt. It really feels good. Would this be a wise choice or stick with one I have? What about scope choice?

Posts: 69 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't hunted Marco Polo nor Ibex, but I am fond of the .300 Win Mag.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I think you should stick with the 300. Light bullets and it would shoot just as flat, or even better.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 Wby and RUM seem to be popular, from what I read.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It is awfully hard to beat any of the various .300's for long range hunting. While on my way to Kyrgyzstan last month I ran into a group of Canadians who were using .338 Lapua's but on those high altitude hunts portability is as much an issue as trajectory.
A .270 would work just as well, but is considered a bit plebian nowadays. Of course so is my 30-06. But so long as you are familiar with your rife and it's trajectory and know the range you can use anything you want.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
If it was me going on that Marco Polo hunt, I'd be carrying my .300 Weatherby with my favorite handloaded 168 gr Barnes TTSX bullets.

As for the calibers that you listed, IMO your .300 Win has a definate edge. It has a long history as a long range competition caliber and as a US military sniper rifle.

I would also put in A LOT of range time.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
If it was me going on that Marco Polo hunt, I'd be carrying my .300 Weatherby with my favorite handloaded 168 gr Barnes TTSX bullets.

As for the calibers that you listed, IMO your .300 Win has a definate edge. It has a long history as a long range competition caliber and as a US military sniper rifle.

I would also put in A LOT of range time.

No matter which rifle you take, that last sentence is the one that matters.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you might have to shoot 500 yards I would use heavy 180 at least in 300 win mag as the lighter bullets will not keep up at those ranges.you will have more energy at 500 with the 190,200 or 210 grain bullets.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My primary rifle for 30 years has been a 300 WM and that's what I killed my Marco Polo ram with. The guide estimated the range at 800 meters, but the animal was beyond the field of my 900 yard range finder. On top of the extreme range there was a 30 MPH cross wind. I would have never taken the shot but it was the last few minutes of light on the last day of the hunt, so it was go to work or go home empty. The 180 grain Nosler Partition bullet we recovered was perfectly mushroomed.
My rifle was built by Brown Precision 30 years ago and has killed hunderds of animal all over the world for me. I'm so used to it and it fits me so well, it literally feels like an extension of my body.
Shoot the rifle you are most comfortable with and practice, practice, practice, oh and bring lots of ammo. I've seen guys use multiple boxes trying to kill these very skitish animals.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I faced a similar dilema last year for my sheep hunt. i bought a used Winchester chambered in .300 wby. I spent a lot of time on the range but never got really comfortable with my ability to shoot long distances because of the kick. when i finally saw the sheep he was 600+ yds away and i declined the shot. next year i am going back with a .270 winchester. i recently bought a tikka t3 lite in that caliber and i plan to spend a lot more time on the range before i go.

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not own or shoot a 300 Win mag but I do think it is a fantastic long range choice.
I have the records for the last 9 long range matches shot in southern Idaho.. Targets ranges out to 1400 yards, the 300 Win is a top contender in long range shooting.
Most of the long range shooters using the 300 Win are using 190 Gr to 210 Gr projectiles.
Heavy bullets do better at long range as they retain their energy better.
With a good range finder, a tactical scope, and proper ballistic data hitting @ 1000 yd is not that hard anymore. The 300 win mag will kill very well at 1000yd. Do not get me wrong I am not advocating shooting game at that distance.
Just shooting at a rifle range will not cut it! A bench rest is for developing loads or bench rest competition. Unless you plan to carry the bench with you in the field there better ways to practice.

For hunting or sniper type shooting a bench is almost a waste of time. Most rifles shoot to a different point of impact when shot from prone or off a backpack anyway.

After your loads are developed stop shooting from a bench. Practice from prone, sitting, Standing, kneeling and shooting with the rifle resting on your pack. Hunting and sniper technique are close to the same. Train for the real world.

In my opinion 95% of hunters should take a long range tactical class form someone that is reputable. Then practice what you learn and 600 yards will become an easy shot on sheep sized animals.

I can always tell the clients that have put their pride aside and taken lessons in real world shooting. They are so much better shots than the other hunters it is embarrassing.

Darin Nelson on this site is a good case in point. She has been to Gunsight’s rifle class a few times.
She is a dream client as she can shoot from any field position.

Lastly if the recoil of a 300 mag is too much give a 270, 284 win or 30-06 a try they are very capable of consistent hits at 1000 yards.

Jerry Jacques
www.Bristol-Bay.com

Posts: 36 | Location: Iliamna Alaska | Registered: 10 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, I'd stick with the 300 WM, a 270 Win. isn't going to be carrying much mail when it gets to 500 yards.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that a 300 will have more knock down power than a 270 and I prefer larger and heavier projectiles. I tell my hunters to bring the largest caliber that they shoot well. If a shooter is recoil shy I would rather he/she show up with a 270 that he/she shoots well than a 300 that he/she only shoots marginally with.
The 270 has the same penetration as a 300 Win. The 270 will kill Ibex sized game at 500 yd. A well placed hit with a 270 will always do better than a poor placed shot with a 300.

Now if you shoot your 300 win well I suggest you take the 300. The money you save spend on ammo to practice with.

Jerry Jacques, Alaska Master Guide #110, www.Bristol-Bay.com

Posts: 36 | Location: Iliamna Alaska | Registered: 10 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
.300 win. (Though .300 wby. is my fave) Shooting 180 Swift Sciroccos.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskaguide:
Heavy bullets do better at long range as they retain their energy better.

I wouldn't think that the energy would matter in long distance shooting competition. I was under the impression people shot heavier (for caliber size) bullets due to the longer bullets (Higher Ballistic Coefficient).

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post