Find
Notify
Tools

"Basic" precision rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Heh, just realized Mike had the Biebster in mind with his Blaser comment, not old Bill. Now that's dementia!

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries, Bill....he can be kind of hard to follow :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
No worries, Bill....he can be kind of hard to follow :-)

Just like your marksmanship Biebs - hard to follow Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, it's easy....just look for the little ragged hole in the center of the orange circle!

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Ray, the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6mm Creedmoor has a 1:7.7 twist and should handle the heavies -- although Sierra recommends 1:7 for the 110 SMK.
By the way, Grabagun in Texas is practically giving away the RPR in 6 Creed for $799 plus $8 shipping. I could not say no.

Bill,

That sounds like a great deal.

Lot of interest here in the 6mm Creedmoor.

If I didn't already have a 6mm HOT (6mm/47Lapua, no turn neck) I'd buy one. tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I saw the 6.5 Creed Magpul all laid out on a table today - ready for assembly by this weekend. There was even thread lock for the scope mount screws.
He showed me all the stock adjustments and such too. Some fancy Leupold scope half as big as the rifle !
Maybe this weekend!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill/Oregon, I don't patronize their social media stuff, but there's a FB group (I think that link will work...) Central NM Shooters and last month at one of the matches some people from T or C/Cruces where talking about a large private ranch they were setting up for a Raton Outback/PRS style steel range. That range might be more local to you for 'formal' shooting past 600.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jpl, thanks for that link. I was very reluctant to mess with Facebook at all, but dang, there are some really great shooters' groups on there. I applied to join the CNM Shooters. I am already a member of the .44 Associates and the .22 BPCR gang.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the appeal of a basic precision rifle?

I assume it has to be more accurate than a regular bolt action rifle.

Offer a better or easier scope mounting system.

My biased take is that this is a marketing pitch wisely developed by ruger and followed by other gun manufactures to sell more guns.

The opposite of the ultra light rifle.

Bill -Sorry to rain on the parade.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appeal? I'm not sure. For the life of me, I cannot figure out the appeal of golf, but millions participate in that activity anyway.

Not to hijack, but for the local "PRS style" steel matches, it seems that you have to have a rifle with a 10-round detachable magazine capacity and optics/ballistics capable of connecting with a 1-2 MOA steel target out to 1200 yards while limiting velocity to 3200fps (to prevent ruining the surface of AR500). Most(?) stages are 120 seconds or less for approximately 10 rounds at targets anywhere from 50 to 1200 yards from field or improvised shooting positions. The ability to spot your own hits/misses is very advantageous necessitating heavy rifles and brakes and frequently suppressors. This all seems to favor 6mm to 6.5mm cartridges in terms of velocity, BC, recoil, overall cost, and barrel life.

There is usually a plethora of gear to assist in making hits from less-than-stable shooting positions including bags, bipods, tripods, sticks, etc. and the rules usually leave plenty of interpretation to "game" the stages somewhat (some people are quite clever at almost, but not quite cheating).

For me, the appeal is that it's not so much the accuracy of the rifle so much as the ability of the shooter to achieve hits within the allotted time with a never-the-same-twice course of fire. It's also an excuse to be outside shooting guns with like-minded folk. You could just as well go play golf instead.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
Appeal? I'm not sure. For the life of me, I cannot figure out the appeal of golf, but millions participate in that activity anyway.

Not to hijack, but for the local "PRS style" steel matches, it seems that you have to have a rifle with a 10-round detachable magazine capacity and optics/ballistics capable of connecting with a 1-2 MOA steel target out to 1200 yards while limiting velocity to 3200fps (to prevent ruining the surface of AR500). Most(?) stages are 120 seconds or less for approximately 10 rounds at targets anywhere from 50 to 1200 yards from field or improvised shooting positions. The ability to spot your own hits/misses is very advantageous necessitating heavy rifles and brakes and frequently suppressors. This all seems to favor 6mm to 6.5mm cartridges in terms of velocity, BC, recoil, overall cost, and barrel life.

There is usually a plethora of gear to assist in making hits from less-than-stable shooting positions including bags, bipods, tripods, sticks, etc. and the rules usually leave plenty of interpretation to "game" the stages somewhat (some people are quite clever at almost, but not quite cheating).

For me, the appeal is that it's not so much the accuracy of the rifle so much as the ability of the shooter to achieve hits within the allotted time with a never-the-same-twice course of fire. It's also an excuse to be outside shooting guns with like-minded folk. You could just as well go play golf instead.

Makes sense if you look at these gun as the rifle version of race pistols used in matches.

95 percent of the buyers in Florida don’t use them for anything like matches.

Another good thing about this whole precision rifle demand is it is creating demand for higher end optics.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, the appeal lies in having a rifle capable of making very small groups at considerable distances. I got my first taste of marksmanship in Scouts, earning my merit badge from a member of the Fort Lewis Army Pistol Team. I found shooting good scores to be quite satisfying. Many years later, I participated in "light varmint" matches out to 600 yards on a shooting range built in 1942 along with Camp White, Oregon, to train the 91st Infantry for combat in World War II. One of those match organizers, a Vietnam vet, took me under his wing and let me shoot his benchrest rifle, a 6mm BR built on a Kelbly action, at 100 yards and I had the great satisfaction of shooting a "bughole" group of five shots in .16 inch. The Ruger rifle is likely not capable of accuracy as fine as this as it comes from the factory, but there are guys out there putting three shots on steel at 1,000 yards that you could cover with a credit card.
I find this to be both challenging and intriguing, and the general concept of shooting for accuracy has appealed to a very steady segment of American males since before the days of Ned Roberts to the golden days of the Creedmoor range on Long Island to the schuetzen era to Camp Perry to here. Apparently this segment of the "gun crank" population is poorly represented in Florida for some reason unknown to me.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, mine will be here Monday. I ordered 100 rounds of 6mm Creedmoor Hornady 108gr VLDs to start with. I already have plenty of match ammunition for the 308.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jon, that's excellent. I loaded up 40 rounds of 6mm Creedmoor to break in the barrel and zero the scope. I am using Starline brass, WLR primer, Re16 and the Sierra 95-grain HPBT to start with. Sierra graciously published its 6 mm Creedmoor data for download.
I am using Re16 for two reasons: this relatively new powder is supposed to be very accurate in the Creedmoors, and it is manufactured using Bofors technology that causes the maximum combustion temperature to peak well down the bore, unlike the 4350s, which are hottest right at the throat, which can burn out quickly.

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/...creedmoor-load-data/

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good plan, plus I use Reloader powders almost exclusively.