Long Range Cartridges
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
Gerhard,

Is getting popular here in Australia lately. A friend is building one right now.

The 243 AI has been popular for years.

I still prefer the 6.5X47 Lapua.

Thanks Blair,

It sounds that the shortage in reloading components especially bullets continues in South Africa.

Nosler and Hornady 308 and 6,5 caliber bullets is close to impossible to find.

Hope to secure some 123gr by July to reload and test the 260

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can do with three.

1. I had a custom varmint rifle built several years ago. 1:8" twist 22-284 Valkyrie. I stole the idea from Fred Huntington.

2. My OM 70 in 300 H&H.

3. 375 RUM. Don't have one yet, but am debating getting my commercial FN-actioned 375 IMP rechambered.

OK, four!

4. The shiny new bespoke OM70 in 450 RUM just finished. Jim Kobe did the metal work for me, and a former stocker who worked for Ackley stocked for me.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, add a .500 Nitro Express 3" double by Searcy.

There was a need, of sorts, for the #5, a stopper.

ISS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed IHS. Sometimes 50 yards can be long range for an elephant! Now a 416 Rigby.....
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I went through the 6.5 problem and ended up picking the 6.5x47. I sold that rifle when we left Australia and honestly if it was me I'd build a 256 Newton improved. and I will probably do just that.

You might consider the 280 Ackley as well.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something with a .600+ BC and 3,000 FPS launch....

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
375 CheyTac 350 grain bullet 3200fps

BC 1.05

Posts: 406 | Registered: 17 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Lord.....

Makes a 162 Amax look like a tennis ball.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the .22LR for training work out to 200yds.

I shoot a lot of 75gn and 77gn bullets in a .223 Wylde for training and matches. I also do a lot of training and matches with a .308 Win with both 175gn SMK and 190gn SMK although I have grown to appreciate the .300WM with the 190gn and 220gn SMK. I shoot these three when required to.

I do most of my longer range shooting with a 105gn A-MAX in .243 Win although I am considering a 6mm Creedmoor when it is time to rebarrel.

The vast majority of my hunting is done with a 7mm Rem Mag (formerly used a .280 Improved 40°) and 162gn A-MAX or 168gn SMK.

When I finally get off the east coast and head back west I am going to build either a .338 RUM or a .338 Edge for ELR shooting.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a 20 MOA rail and SWFA MD on my 10/22 and 330 yards is a hoot. 75/80 Amax are hard to beat in a 223.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7mmfreak:
I like the .22LR for training work out to 200yds.

I shoot a lot of 75gn and 77gn bullets in a .223 Wylde for training and matches. I also do a lot of training and matches with a .308 Win with both 175gn SMK and 190gn SMK although I have grown to appreciate the .300WM with the 190gn and 220gn SMK. I shoot these three when required to.

I do most of my longer range shooting with a 105gn A-MAX in .243 Win although I am considering a 6mm Creedmoor when it is time to rebarrel.

The vast majority of my hunting is done with a 7mm Rem Mag (formerly used a .280 Improved 40°) and 162gn A-MAX or 168gn SMK.

When I finally get off the east coast and head back west I am going to build either a .338 RUM or a .338 Edge for ELR shooting.

Why not a Lapua? I have an Edge and a Lapua, so just curious.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

Those two are basically the same. The whole point of the edge is cheaper guns and brass.

The goal is launching the 300grain high BC bullets. Either does this fine.

It's possible to chamber a cheap remington in lapua, but that doesn't leave much room for error when reloading. Some people think even the WSM/RUM are pushing the limits of receivers designed for 308/30-06.

So if you're going with a custom oversize receiver, then why not go bigger with something like the 375CT?

My $0.02

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am going to use a Remington 700 and my buddy that builds my guns won't do a .338 Lapua on the Remington because he feels it is unsafe. The RUM and EDGE he will chamber and components are cheaper for similar performance.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7mmfreak:
quote:

I am going to use a Remington 700 and my buddy that builds my guns won't do a .338 Lapua on the Remington because he feels it is unsafe. The RUM and EDGE he will chamber and components are cheaper for similar performance.

I agree the performance is similar, which to say the least, is awesome. Those Berger 300s are like magic in the wind.

The only issue with the Edge is that it is a wildcat.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of building a 6.5mm SAUM mountain rifle, built on a short action Remington 700 with a fluted Krieger 8 twist 24 inch barrel and then to be bedded into a Bansner Hitech stock.

This cartridge has really taken off in popularity in the US, thanks to the availability of some excellent high BC 6.5 bullets and new powders.

To be honest, I never actually gave much thought to the 6.5mm, I was going to build a 7mm SAUM. Interestingly, availability of Norma 300 SAUM cases is not as issue here in New Zealand at some really good pricing.

However, the more I looked into the 6.5 SAUM, the more I was hooked! I particularly like the velocitys its capable of and at modest pressures. Plus the round will work nicely through a short action M700.

Add to that the penetration and downrange performance that is more than plenty for any of our introduced game species.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post