Find
Notify
Tools

First LR Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Savage in .338 Lapua is just as accurate as my Siller/Lilja job, and cost a lot less.

That's great! You got a good one.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Can't disagree with any of that!
Peter.

My Savage in .338 Lapua is just as accurate as my Siller/Lilja job, and cost a lot less.

You are very lucky because that has not been the case for me.

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a long range shooter, per say, but I am a sheep (mountain) hunter. My longest shots were 880 yards on a Springbok and 1000 yards on a Marco Polo.
I've used the same rifle since 1982, a 300 WM built by Brown Precision in Calif. They're still going strong and I had them do a 375 H&H for me a couple years back.
They build hunting rifles that are incredibly accurate at any range.
If you're going to the SCI show, stop and talk to Mark Brown, I know he'll be there.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AH, yes....I've had a couple of brown Precision rifles over the years. One was a 340 Wby that shot 1/4" groups with 225gr Barnes....incredible rifle.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suggestion only, but would check out Kelby for their Long Range rifles. Highest quality from butt to muzzle and can assure you they well know the accuracy world. As for caliber unless you are anticipating, desiring, etc. going beyond the 1200-1300yd mark, would stick with the Win.300Mag. Superbly accurate round. No question the 338Lapua is a higher performance cartridge, but excessive recoil and adding brake certainly does not reduce the noise level. To insure accurate placement of the bullet at these extreme ranges requires couple items, practice and/or luck(never count on luck.) Shooting some 4-500rnds.becoming proficient with the rifle used at long range does require considerable "time behind the gun" under various conditions. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Conifer, thanks.....good price, but I have the 308 covered. I'm going back and forth between 300 WM, 338 Lapua, or even a 7mm using 180gr Bergers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hill Country Rifles, New Braunfels, TX makes great stuff. I have one in 7mmRM with a precision stock works Micky stock. I have been very pleased with it.

I also have an acquaintance up in the TX Panhandle who happens to be the world's premier sniper trainer. They come from all over the world to train there with him. He told me if a guy doesn't want to spend $5000+ on a rifle, a guy could win lots of competitions with a Tikka T3 Tactical, topped with a Bushy HDMR.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JG, I know Matt...see him at the shows. You friend is right...you don't need to spend $5K to get an accurate rifle. But the lower the price, often the smaller the chances that you'll get a "great" one. I once had a Steyr SB Prohunter in 308 that I spent $500 for. That rifle would shoot 1/4" with Hornady Superformance 150gr SSTs all day long. Should have kept that one! :-)

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Jon,

I built 2..one barreled by tip burns, on barreled by Ray Williamson...300 WSM, the other a 300 WBY...

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed, good calibers....something in that range. I know someone selling a GAP in 300 WSM for a very reasonable price. Might be the way to go.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I agree with your line of thinking Biebs. The big 338's would be quite a headache (literally) and not much fun, while being expensive to shoot! I am not familiar with the 300RUM, perhaps that is better than the 300WM, but, there is no such thing as a free lunch! I will follow your progress with interest. I have no access to distances beyond 850 yards.
Peter.

The 338 Laupa is one of the most 338 cartridges to shoot long range that I have ever used. Set up correctly that are literally not a headache at all. A 300 grain high BC 338 bullet is simply a marvelous long rNge wind bucking machine. There is simply nothing smaller in caliber that rivals a big 338.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JWP, I hunt Alaska with a 338 RUM in an 8 lbs rifle, and with a brake on it, it's tolerable. In a 14 lbs rifle, like a Sako TRG-42, Barrett MRAD, or an AI, it would probably be a cinch. But for the utmost accuracy, the 30 cal and below are likely to be more accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now the 300 wsm is a top dog in the "heavy gun" at Williamsport.

In a 10 pound or so rig... Last I knew Snowy Mountain Rifles had a 300 wsm for sale.

If that doesn't float your boat take a hard look at the 300 Norma! Stellar Cartridge!!
Midway sells brass. Berger 215 or 230 VLD.26" 10 twist.

Posts: 737 | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snowy Mountain Rifles

Looks like it's gone, but they do have 7 WSM.