Tools

Dropped rifle - POI change
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Barrett MRAD 308 suppressed
Larue rings
Schmidt & Bender PMII 5x25

I had this rifle sighted in with Federal GMM 175 and the shots all touching at 100

As it was getting close to dark I thought I would test some Lapua ammo for its POI. Same point of impact 6 rounds on top of each other

I'm all happy and as I walk thru the door the sling attachment at the forearm detaches the rifle hits the floor. First on the suppressor and then on its side. I'm running out of light now so I run 4 rounds thru and I'm 2 inches low. On most rifles I'd rezero and be done with it. This setup is military grade and I wouldn't think this should have happened. It's dark now and I can't mess with it so now it's bugging me.

Any ideas?

Thanks
RC

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry Army long guns for a living and being military grade doesn't make them bombproof. Rezero your gun and check your optic for function. I broke the shit out of a Schmidt during a down select recently (as in whole ocular housing broke off).

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I figured as much but not being able to check until tomorrow was bugging me.

RC

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck checking zeros in the dark with a orange stick-on dot and a flashlight right beside it. The target is as plain as day, and the bullets don't care if its dark out.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. Last night I cycled thru the entire adjustment range elev and wind and set it back to zero. This morning before work, I took the Fed GMM175 out and printed a tight group a little low and to the left. Two .1mR up and two to the right and all shots are on top of each other dead center.

RC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes stuff happens. I have dropped stuff would thought I broke some thing no change, bumped other stuff seen the zero change.

That's life

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my rifles has a bent scope tube. Re-adjusted the turrets and it has been fine for years.

Do you think the scope or mount was bumped? If the primary impact was the can, the can or muzzle threads may be slightly tweaked. If it functions (no baffle strikes, optics work, etc.) and holds the new zero it should be fine.

Was it a flush cup not seated fully?

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was it a flush cup not seated fully?

Magpul hook attachment with sliding lock

I remove the sling on the bench and I failed to lock the hook when I reattached

RC