New
Find
Notify
Tools

ELD-X
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a 7 Dakota for a friend several years ago, 26” bbl. He used the 175’s and got great accuracy and better than 3100fps. He killed a good bull elk w/ a 1st round hit just above the heart at 925yds. Bullet expanded and exited and the bull made it 45 yards before tipping over for good.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished a 28 Nosler, 32" McGowen BBL, Sav receiver, switch barrel. with 38 rounds fired I have a 3-3 shot groups slightly below 1/2" with a Nosler 150 BT, Speer 145 SP and Berger 180 VLD's, Nosler cases, US869...I built it basically to shoot the 195 Berger EOL.

So far the velos are a bit low at 31-3300 fs and pressures ≈48 Kpsi...LONG way to go yet...I'm hoping the 195 will do as well as the lighter bullets. popcorn

I've had MANY .284's over the years using several cases...they ALL are excellent in both the accuracy and the energy dept...and I continue to use the 284 along with the 308 and '06 cases for several wildcat platforms..and now the Ruger/Lapua/Jeffery's iterations. dancing

Good Hunting and Merry X-whatever tu2 beer

Posts: 1211 | Registered: 25 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found the accuracy is very, very spotty and they are fussy to get to shoot.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I cannot get them group in my brothers 28 Nosler. Shot up two boxes trying everything from H1000 to R33 and different bullet depths. Best group was 1.25 Switched to Bergers and Accubond LR and got groups right at 1/2 inch. I don't know if it is me but I have never gotten Horndays to shoot well out of any of my rifles.

I have no first hand experience so take this with a grain of salt. But not hearing great reports from game animals being hit with them. Such as breaking apart or not expanding.

Posts: 746 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Essentially they are an Interlock with a fancy tip.

But the plain Jane Interlocks shoot well.

The Eld-Xs are a real let down.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found just opposite; I find the .308 225 and .338 285s to be extremely accurate.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much higher proportion of reloaders here in Oz than the US and all the reports I have got back have been very negative.

Damn pity.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
Much higher proportion of reloaders here in Oz than the US

Roll Eyes

Posts: 10107 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a bull shiras moose with a 212gr ELD X out of a 300 RUM at 550 yards--one shot kill and expired very quickly--round broke a rib going in, devastated the vitals and disintegrated in the opposite shoulder.

Posts: 78 | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I'm using the ELD-X 6.5 143g in an AR-10 6.5 Creed build and liking the accuracy. I will be using that same bullet for a deer/elk hunt this fall.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
Much higher proportion of reloaders here in Oz than the US and all the reports I have got back have been very negative.

Damn pity.

True, I didn't know anyone that didn't reload in Australia. But a box of 308 cartridges was about $50 AUD when I lived there 2010-2013.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ELD-x are not terribly accurate in my rifles. I did use the 3006 factory load for Hill Stags in Scotland and they dropped the animals in their tracks. Shots were around 100 yards.

Posts: 282 | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post