Find
Notify
Tools

ELD-X
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Any love for these bullets? I like the thick jacket shank and high BC combination. Kind of a cross between a Nosler BT and a Speer Mag tip. May have to try some.

https://www.americanrifleman.o...ornady-eld-x-bullet/

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Hmm. 70 views and no replies. I guess not. Frowner

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just saw this; both me and my friend killed elk last month with them; 162 grain 7mms. Lased, 350 and 400 yards. Worked fine. None recovered.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Just saw this; both me and my friend killed elk last month with them; 162 grain 7mms. Lased, 350 and 400 yards. Worked fine. None recovered.

Interesting. Thank you Sir!
Midway shows that particular bullet @ .613 BC. That's damn good for a hunting bullet! Do they seem to hold up to that claim as far as bullet drop at range?
I'll probably get some of the 150's for my 280 Rem and give them a try. Even those list a BC of .574. Eeker

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They shoot very flat, but look at the charts and the high BCs really do not gain much before you get to about 500 yards or so. My friend did test a box of the 154s too; they shot great but didn't hunt with them. 7mm Rem mags. The eld-xs were very accurate.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Interesting. Thank you Sir!
Midway shows that particular bullet @ .613 BC. That's damn good for a hunting bullet! Do they seem to hold up to that claim as far as bullet drop at range?
I'll probably get some of the 150's for my 280 Rem and give them a try. Even those list a BC of .574. Eeker

I shoot this bullet a lot and have written about it on AR. As far as the "drop" is concerned, pretty spot on if you know the MV, but at really extended ranges unless you have consistent MV, you will start to see vertical stringing, but that is true of any bullet.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot them quite a bit when they first came out and killed a couple elk with them. One at 142 yards and found the bullet in the far shoulder (performance was as expected from a quality cup and core pill) and one at longer ranges and has a pass-through. Fine bullet.
This was the ELD-X 212 in a 300 RUM.

My newest 300 RUM shoots the 210 LR Accubonds a little better and I just killed a bull last week and hope to kill a cow next week.

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are super accurate in all of my guns

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to the SAAM school last spring and used this ammo. It was great in my .300wm. A lady there was shooting it in a Creedmore and outshot most of us.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I had great accuracy but terrible hunting luck with these, same with a buddy.

Mine was 6.5 SAUM, his in 308. Shoot fantastic, but penciled through deer. His was a buck with 500 yards to the nearest woods, almost made it. No blood at all, but did exit. Mine was a doe about 200 yards, perfect lung shot but no blood to find and got away.

140 Bergers have the exact same dope in my gun, and leave softball sized exits.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Tried them in 270 WSM and 28 Nosler. Cannot get them to group under an inch. SO I stuck with Accubond LR which shoot around 1/2 inch in my rifles.

Posts: 747 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
I have not used them personally, but was speaking to a very active hunter here recently. He uses a 308Win and switched to the 178gn ELD-X about a year ago. He is shooting Sambar and Fallow deer from close up to past 500 meters. So these are whitetail to elk sized animals at close to mid range distances. He has been very happy with them in the time he has been using them.

I tried to buy some to try in my sons 308 win but couldnt find any in stock here. The guy behind the counter in the gun shop said he couldnt keep them on the shelf.

Posts: 422 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 142 eldx's in my 6.5-06 ackley, reasonable accuracy, not any better than those in that category..However I did have a serious complaint with them, I never seemed to get a thump with them,which is a real problem when you are shooting multiples.

Posts: 1178 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I watched as a client fired a 212 ELD-X into the heart of a bull Elk at 445 yds.
The elk got hit and was on the ground within 5 seconds. The client chambered another round
And covered the animal for about 2 minutes, it became clear the Elk was expiring...Quickly .
We where at the kill site inside of 10 minutes and the Elk was dead. Bullet performance was perfect for a text book behind the shoulder chest hit, heart and lungs destroyed into chunks and shreds. No part of the bullet was recovered as it did exit. The rifle used was a Satterlee custom in 300 Dakota.

Posts: 1207 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 6.5/300 WBY put 3 123 gr ELD's into 0.235" at 110 yds... Took half a box to get the right combo of US869/WLR/WBY BRASS/3.615" COAL, then 5-3 shot groups to confirm...ave right at ≈0.252". Picked up 2 boxes and 2# of 869 at Sportsman's(all they had) last trip to town. Ordered an 8# bottle of 869 powder and requested 3 more boxes of 123 gr ELX's. 600 rounds probably will use up the guilt edged accuracy IF it will go that far.

Good Hunting and Merry-merry tu2 beer

Posts: 1211 | Registered: 25 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post