THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Falling blocks for long range shooting

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Falling blocks for long range shooting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do you ever see any falling blocks like a Ruger #1 at these long range shoots?
I know you cannot get a custom sock with a pistol grip and maybe not as good a trigger. However a simple strong solid action (no bedding required). Easy to load the long bullets. Put a straight Bull barrel on it.
Just curious?
Might be a fun project? Trigger is big deal to me if it can be perfected or an after market unit. Build your own laminated stock.

7MM WSM with a long throat to seat the bullets out?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have often thought about it.

Only downside I see is having to rotate rifle to move lever down if setup prone.

DRSS

Posts: 1892 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Extra style points for sure if you build on a Steve Earle Wesson #1 Long Range:

http://www.steveearleproducts.com/longrange.html

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of rik
posted Hide Post
been there done that - Ruger #1, PacNor medium Palma barrel, 260 Rem, 8" twist, 27 inches. i must have put 3 thousand rounds through it over the course of 12 years reloading every conceivable combination of components. It consistently gave me 1 to 1.5 groups at 100. Nothing to really complain about but nothing to write home about either. Not good enough for a rifle weighing over 10 lbs. When my adult daughter showed an interest in long range shooting I sold it and we bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in 5.56 and 7" twist - also a very heavy rifle but no more complaints about accuracy.

Posts: 38 | Location: Coquitlam, BC | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This isn't even a falling block but one of my TCR-87's with a fiberglass stock I made and a 26-inch heavy Bartlet barrel in 6MM-06. I put a Leupold scope on it with the custom dial reticle and in the process of getting it sighted in shot two 3-shot groups at 207 yards, a 3-shot group at 338 yards, a 3-shot group at 427 yards and a 5-shot group at 600 yards. This was with 105-grain Berger VLD Hunting Bullets at 3,250 fps. Discounting a flyer in the 5-shot 600-yard group the average accuracy for the five groups was 0.70 MOA. But even with the flyer which I am sure was caused by my shooting, the 600-yard group was still barely over 1.0 MOA. This may not be good enough for match shooting, but for deer or coyotes where one normally needs a good first shot hit I think it's not much of a handicap compared to a bolt action. That is, I think the big problem is judging the wind correctly for one's first and only shot. Slightly better accuracy is a slight advantage compared to that.

Posts: 278 | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put a straight Bull barrel on it.

Kirby Allen once posted that the No. 1 had a relatively short barrel thread, that could certainly affect accuracy with a long, heavy barrel. Also I think the increased weight of a bolt action would also help.

Posts: 255 | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I know there have been some benchrest interest in the Miller action.

Not sure what the results were.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I know there have been some benchrest interest in the Miller action.

Not sure what the results were.

None

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the time with BPCR-legal rifles, which are fired out to 1000 yd (with black powder and cast lead bullets). Somewhat more difficult than with modern smokeless rounds.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post