The Accurate Reloading Forums
Falling blocks for long range shooting

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8991022351/m/8121076142

09 May 2018, 04:43
eezridr
Falling blocks for long range shooting
Do you ever see any falling blocks like a Ruger #1 at these long range shoots?
I know you cannot get a custom sock with a pistol grip and maybe not as good a trigger. However a simple strong solid action (no bedding required). Easy to load the long bullets. Put a straight Bull barrel on it.
Just curious?
Might be a fun project? Trigger is big deal to me if it can be perfected or an after market unit. Build your own laminated stock.

7MM WSM with a long throat to seat the bullets out?

EZ
07 June 2018, 03:33
Rockdoc
Have often thought about it.

Only downside I see is having to rotate rifle to move lever down if setup prone.

DRSS
07 June 2018, 16:26
richj
Ed Yost
07 June 2018, 20:39
skl1
Extra style points for sure if you build on a Steve Earle Wesson #1 Long Range:

http://www.steveearleproducts.com/longrange.html
23 July 2019, 11:49
rik
been there done that - Ruger #1, PacNor medium Palma barrel, 260 Rem, 8" twist, 27 inches. i must have put 3 thousand rounds through it over the course of 12 years reloading every conceivable combination of components. It consistently gave me 1 to 1.5 groups at 100. Nothing to really complain about but nothing to write home about either. Not good enough for a rifle weighing over 10 lbs. When my adult daughter showed an interest in long range shooting I sold it and we bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in 5.56 and 7" twist - also a very heavy rifle but no more complaints about accuracy.
25 July 2019, 06:15
IOWADON
This isn't even a falling block but one of my TCR-87's with a fiberglass stock I made and a 26-inch heavy Bartlet barrel in 6MM-06. I put a Leupold scope on it with the custom dial reticle and in the process of getting it sighted in shot two 3-shot groups at 207 yards, a 3-shot group at 338 yards, a 3-shot group at 427 yards and a 5-shot group at 600 yards. This was with 105-grain Berger VLD Hunting Bullets at 3,250 fps. Discounting a flyer in the 5-shot 600-yard group the average accuracy for the five groups was 0.70 MOA. But even with the flyer which I am sure was caused by my shooting, the 600-yard group was still barely over 1.0 MOA. This may not be good enough for match shooting, but for deer or coyotes where one normally needs a good first shot hit I think it's not much of a handicap compared to a bolt action. That is, I think the big problem is judging the wind correctly for one's first and only shot. Slightly better accuracy is a slight advantage compared to that.
26 July 2019, 05:08
sjmci
quote:
Put a straight Bull barrel on it.

Kirby Allen once posted that the No. 1 had a relatively short barrel thread, that could certainly affect accuracy with a long, heavy barrel. Also I think the increased weight of a bolt action would also help.
04 February 2020, 00:01
Big Wonderful Wyoming
I know there have been some benchrest interest in the Miller action.

Not sure what the results were.
04 February 2020, 02:05
butchlambert
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I know there have been some benchrest interest in the Miller action.

Not sure what the results were.

None
12 February 2020, 00:59
ClaMar
All the time with BPCR-legal rifles, which are fired out to 1000 yd (with black powder and cast lead bullets). Somewhat more difficult than with modern smokeless rounds.

Clarence