Tools

Sheep Hunting Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Instructor:
The shots on the "dot" seem to be near or under even 1moa and that is fine accuracy for a factory rifle in 270 caliber. Dealer friend of mine has association with outfitter group in Wyoming and he does stock the Browning A Bolt and X Bolt at his local store but not that much of a following here(WV) for the rifles, but tells me hunters out West favor those rifles. As for rebarreling the Brownings I understand that the thread pitch is super fine compared to others and can gaul easily if not very, very careful in doing so. Have never owned one of the rifles, but like I a need another rifle, may well check into one.

Mormons like them, because of their Mormon roots. Western Hunters don't really favor any brand. I own a ton of 700s, 1 77, 1 70, a Sauer, a Mauser and a couple Howas.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
The shots on the "dot" seem to be near or under even 1moa and that is fine accuracy for a factory rifle in 270 caliber. Dealer friend of mine has association with outfitter group in Wyoming and he does stock the Browning A Bolt and X Bolt at his local store but not that much of a following here(WV) for the rifles, but tells me hunters out West favor those rifles. As for rebarreling the Brownings I understand that the thread pitch is super fine compared to others and can gaul easily if not very, very careful in doing so. Have never owned one of the rifles, but like I a need another rifle, may well check into one.

Mormons like them, because of their Mormon roots. Western Hunters don't really favor any brand. I own a ton of 700s, 1 77, 1 70, a Sauer, a Mauser and a couple Howas.

SOME hunters out West favor them and SOME happen to be Mormons. I'm a Mormon and don't like them at all so I guess it's not a "spiritual" thing after all.

I've been "blessed" to enjoy 700's, 70's, FN's, 99's, #1's, 15's and 1999's and you couldn't run fast enough to give me a Browning.... but that's just me and nothing really against Browning.... or Catholics, for that matter. LMAO.

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larryshores.......

That picture is impressive. I know it takes a fine rifleman to paint the circle.

Ski+3

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or lucky! Thanks.

Shooting at that distance is a lot mental. More so if you have never done it. This is why I shoot at 1,000 yards every time I go to Vegas. Makes 400 -500 yards seem like no big deal.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:

SOME hunters out West favor them and SOME happen to be Mormons. I'm a Mormon and don't like them at all so I guess it's not a "spiritual" thing after all.

I've been "blessed" to enjoy 700's, 70's, FN's, 99's, #1's, 15's and 1999's and you couldn't run fast enough to give me a Browning.... but that's just me and nothing really against Browning.... or Catholics, for that matter. LMAO.

Zeke

Yep, should have put the quantifier some on Mormons.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by africa1sttimer:
Looking forward to an Alaskan Dall Sheep this fall. I've taken two when much younger and would feel there's an advantage now if I can get a rifle accurate out to 400-500 Yards. Since I don't do any other long range shooting, I'm looking to find a good rifle system without busting the bank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Winchester 284 was originally supposed to provide 270 ballistics in a short-action rifle, the kind of thing you'd carry on a sheep hunt.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I have a son coming home from the army soon. Was thinking about getting him a Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Win. I had one in 7mm Mag that shot great and I like that they come (270) with a 24" bbl. Personally I would love a 6.5-06 and think it would make a great sheep rig. But a 270 is pretty close to the same. As someone from Utah, Brownings are great, but Ive never noticed any kind of a "Cult" thing with them around here. I have enjoyed visiting the Browning Museum in Ogden once though. I'm actually more into Mausers myself.

Just thinking, for a sheep rig you might not want something a hefty as a Weatherby Vanguard. How about the rifleman's rifle? Model 70 270 Win featherweight for negotiating that rugged sheep terrain? Hard to go wrong with that time tested classic.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post