THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Long Range 101 knowledge shared blog PLEASE SH
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range 101 knowledge shared blog PLEASE SH
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CD;

Well stated. When you, lying behind a rfle supported by a sling, with iron sights, and personally handloaded ammunition, can confidently say "that was an X"- the most remwarding aspect of the whole game. I know that several 800s have been posted over the years by across the course shooters, but even my lowly PR of 779-27X has been the highlight of my shooting efforts. I recall every one of the 10s and Xs, the one lone 7 (#80) and even though I did not "win" the match, I won the mental game. I can only imagine what it be like to shoot all 10s and Xs.

Bull gazing, muscling, dragging wood, mental fatigue etc etc-

I no longer compete as often I as I wish, but even setting up at home and posting a HM class score on reduced course targets ATC is great mental diversion and very rewarding.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well spoken HP Instructor...

My best day ever in competition was June 16th & 17th of 1990. Yes, I remember that weekend.

It was a Hunter Class Bench Rest match in Oregon.

On Saturday I finished in a three-way tie for score and won on X-count at 100 yards.

On Sunday I finished in a three-way tie for score and won on X-count at 200 yards.

It was a pretty easy way to figure out the winner of the 100/200yd aggregate as well each yardage.

The same two gentlemen finished in the same order, second and third, based on X-count.

That was the first weekend I spent in "The Zone".

I've had some days where I got back in, but none like that weekend. There's a feeling where the bulls eye looks as big as a trash can lid, and you can't load and shoot fast enough, and you don't need to shoot any foulers. You just KNOW all of those bullets are going in.

I keep hoping I get one more visit before I get too old...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as your comments on BR skill levels: the equipment is so good, and there are so many top rifle builders, that they have leveled the playing field and taken the game to who is the best wind reader, just like every other competition out there with rifles.

You'll never know better unless you go to www.nbrsa.com, find the closest club, and attend a match. There are lots of people there who will shoot a group under 1/8th of an inch at 100 yards while you watch, and then offer to let you shoot their rifle. You will have no excuse except your lack of ability to not duplicate it.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
As far as your comments on BR skill levels: the equipment is so good, and there are so many top rifle builders, that they have leveled the playing field and taken the game to who is the best wind reader, just like every other competition out there with rifles.

You'll never know better unless you go to www.nbrsa.com, find the closest club, and attend a match. There are lots of people there who will shoot a group under 1/8th of an inch at 100 yards while you watch, and then offer to let you shoot their rifle. You will have no excuse except your lack of ability to not duplicate it.

Well said.

Posts: 3720 | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Instructor:
Local bench rest shooter I referred to earlier almost always blames an errant shot on the wind and that is only at 100yds, rarely shoots at even 200yds. Other than a super strong wind do I pay any attention to the wind until 300yds. or beyond. He will not use the wind drum on his scope for he feels it "will mess up my zero...??) I well realize he is trying to place all shots in the same hole and I for score, but he has no concept of reading the wind and making appropriate adjustments. The way I look at bench shooters is they are pulling a switch on a machine as opposed to operating "the machine" and managing it to gain better performance, very little human input if you will. That being said, if they enjoy shooting in that fashion, so be it, but observing two guys carry the rifle to the bench due to weight is not a rifle, but a mechanical device; hence, a machine. I am leaving shortly for the range to shoot my 45/70 and 9.3x62 rifles and not from the bench nor with optics. I am sure if there are any bench shooters there they will wonder what I am doing.

The "errant shot" due to wind sounds just like a guy I know who shoots BR and shot (only once) a 600yds record. He brings it up as often as he thinks he can but like your acquaintance doesn't understand how a scope works (you should hear him try to explain how to use mils or as he calls them mil-dots). Any time he misses though it is not his fault. As far as he is concerned only wind at his position matters but he doesn't know how fast it is. Under good conditions he shoots well but any time it's windy and he doesn't do so well he "almost won" due to hypotheticals.

My friend Norm on the other hand shoots prone sling supported and can win anytime he shows up to a match. He also just shot a record score with a Proof barrel but doesn't talk incessantly about it. He's very good,but when he misses he can tell you why and it's never not his fault.

To me the personality differences are about the same as the difference between trap shooters and guys who shoot sporting clays.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May not be quite in tune with Long Rnage shooting, but a few years back I was about to win an eIC match- the course was fired 600 first, then 200 standing, 200 sitting and ending with 300 prone. I fired a decent 600, a great standing and solid rapid sitting and was sitting in the lead with my best stage coming up- 10 shots from standing to prone in 60 seconds- my average then was about a 98-6x or thereabouts.

Anyway- prep time ends, shooters are called to stand, targets come up and away we og. First two were solid, took my time and broke them center, certain they were tens. Reload smoothly, settle back in the sling, 3-8 or 9 were just fine, good rythym, lots of time I did this so many times it was natural.....

Kinda laid on the sights for a moment to assure the tenth round would win the match- broke it cleanly, focus was solely on the front sight post-as it should be.....

Targets down, my scorer looks at me like I was from mars... He said- "did you fall asleep on the gun/" I said no, it should come up clean.

He smiled.

Targets came up and I was aghast- the score board read 8, 1, 0, 0, 0,0,0,1- a 90-8x.

My last shot was depicted as a lone orange golf tee at 12:00 just off the 5 ring scoring line.

My last shot was fired as the targets were being pulled and it was a clean miss.

I ended up third in the match. Score was 478-16x- I blew a 488 and a hard leg by trying too hard!

Targets came up, I was aghast- a 90-8x

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I hate that late shot. I've got lucky with a high 5. No 8 X though.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post