THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    What does a target look like at 1k yards in 100deg heat?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does a target look like at 1k yards in 100deg heat?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
And I do mean a paper target. Just curious. I'm gluing to shoot long range targets for the first time in years. I have only fired in cool weather before, but now I will be shooting in central Texas. I suspect it would be waste of time. Probably better to wait until October or so.

Posts: 7478 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Temperature doesn't have much to do with it. Higher temperature alone usually makes it easier to shoot long range because the DA is higher.

If you're talking about mirage, then that is a temperature differential, usually caused by the sun warming up the ground relative to the surrounding air. So in the morning or evening mirage is usually not bad, or if it's overcast. Some of the worst mirage I've ever seen was in january.

So I don't think it would be a wast of time. Have fun!

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Wow. I would not have guessed. Thanks.

Posts: 7478 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mirage is worse the higher the humidity. Lots of shooters complain about it, but I find it makes long range hits much easier because it shows the composite wind direction and magnitude.

If I can't see mirage, I spin the side parallax knob to focus about halfway between me and my target, judge the wind, spin it back to focus, and shoot. Works great.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that the short answer to the OP is: It doesn't look like a target at all (with mirage). There is no recognizable aiming point. That's the problem! And, what image there is, is moving! I have not tried azwriter's trick.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
And I do mean a paper target. Just curious. I'm gluing to shoot long range targets for the first time in years. I have only fired in cool weather before, but now I will be shooting in central Texas. I suspect it would be waste of time. Probably better to wait until October or so.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I believe that the short answer to the OP is: It doesn't look like a target at all (with mirage). There is no recognizable aiming point. That's the problem! And, what image there is, is moving! I have not tried azwriter's trick.
Peter.

I will agree precise aiming is difficult, so whenever there is mirage I don't test loads (my standard load development is done at 500 yards). Shooters often forget mirage slightly displaces the target image in the direction of the mirage.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post