THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Any experience with the new Swarovski X5 or X8 scopes?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with the new Swarovski X5 or X8 scopes?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been seeing these out there. Look complicated but that just be me.
Any one with experience the new Swarovski X5 or X8 scopes?

Thanks!

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Swarovski X5 or X8 scopes

They make good scopes it is easy to over scope for hunting.

It is all depending on what one is trying to accomplish.

I have a couple scopes over 16x only time I use the higher power is when I was sighting them in.

Even in the P dog field a lot of our shooting was at 10x or so.

Last years Wis. buck was shot at about 325 as he walked across a 75 yard wide opening. Bang flop in about 10 seconds.

I was sitting on a bucket rifle was in front of me on a bi-pod I looked up the opening saw a deer crossing when he was half way across.

Dropped into prone behind the rifle.

Looked at the deer saw horns put the 300 yard dot a little forward as he was still walking touched the shot off and DRT.

No time to grab my laser binos to check him out or the range. I had a fair idea how far as I have hunted that spot for 15 years.

All done at 9x.

Some times you have the time most of the time in the woods one needs to shoot because if you don't the game well be gone out of sight shortly.

My big game rifles have scope from high of 9 x to a low of 1x.

These newer scope with the wider range of adjustment are interesting but I have not brought one yet.

If you plan on shooting game at over 500 yards I see the merit and I might one day but one on my 300wm for out west but so far a 3x9 has worked well.

But I would not be afraid of buying a Swarovski.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has an X8.

It has been back to warranty twice!

He's sticking with Nightforce from now on.. Wink

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an X5 on my long range rig. The user manual is very good and walks you through the process to zero and set the zero stops. Makes a complicated procedure very easy. Once set you don't need to worry about it again unless you change loads or take the scope off. I am very happy with mine.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eagle Dad, welcome to AR. Glad you're having good luck with your Swaro....they're hard to beat.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, thanks.

I used to post years ago as 54JNoll. When I decided to start following again I could not get my old profile working. Lots of good info and talented people here.

God bless

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle Dad:
I have an X5 on my long range rig. The user manual is very good and walks you through the process to zero and set the zero stops. Makes a complicated procedure very easy. Once set you don't need to worry about it again unless you change loads or take the scope off. I am very happy with mine.

^^^ All true.

I have 4, X5 Swaros. 3, 3.5-18x50s and 1, 5-25x56. I prefer the 3.5-18 as the eye-box seems a little more forgiving. As the OP suggests setup is really a breeze. Tracking is reliable and repeatable.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle Dad: . . . The user manual is very good and walks you through the process to zero and set the zero stops. Makes a complicated procedure very easy. Once set you don't need to worry about it again unless you change loads or take the scope off.. . .

On their website, they offer a a very clear video on how to zero their scope.

I hesitate to offer this, since I'm a Nightforce kinda guy . . . Wink

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
I have one of each..I'm going elk hunting next and using the X5 on a 300 Weatherby..The X8 is giong on a 458 Lott. I haven't used it yet, but the clarity is excellent

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post