THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Finally a scabard that holds my rifle!

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally a scabard that holds my rifle!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I do not know about others here but I have always had trouble finding a scabbard that wasn't designed for maybe 1950 hunting rifles. Well this hunt is over. I got one and I did not have to pay to custom make it. If you have been on the same trail as I have, take a look at www.outfittersSupply.com TrailMAX Long Range Rifle Scabbard. My 26 inch barrel and 5.5-22 NXS fit comfortably. Hope to hunt test it this fall.

Posts: 1944 | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, when you said "scabbard" you really meant it!

...unlike the guys who say "scabbard" and really mean "gun case"

Just being jocular, and honest.

Thanks for the info-link. I'll look into one.

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me a rifle scabbard is good leather and ment to attach to a saddle, to pack a gun on a horse, its called a rifle scabbard and no other word for it in English or am I hanging out with the wrong crowd..All else are gun cases..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, you're not hanging out with the wrong crowd but obviously my path has been crossed by said wrong crowd folks.

Way too many folks (my brother-in-law is one of them) refers to a gun case as a scabbard. Silly asses!

He also pronounces it "scabbart"!
I cringe!

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Posts: 18528 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
No, you're not hanging out with the wrong crowd but obviously my path has been crossed by said wrong crowd folks.

Way too many folks (my brother-in-law is one of them) refers to a gun case as a scabbard. Silly asses!

He also pronounces it "scabbart"!
I cringe!

Zeke

Could be worse...at least he's not your brother...

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
They also make it left handed.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't pack all that crap on my horse,much of it is hard on their kidneys and can cause saddle sores on some packs..I carry a custom leather rifle scabbard that fits most scoped rifles, another for iron sighted rifles, and one for the lever action carbines..It gets me by just fine...I have a old boot top on one side in back to carry a box of ammo, can of spam or whatever and that's it. I don't need much on a 8 or 9 hour daily hunt..Everything else I need was packed into camp on the pack horses..The less I carry on a day hunt the better I like it..I also have two pockets on my chaps as a rule.

A properly made saddle scabbard can be carried on either side of a horse and in any position The main thing is carry it with the scope UP, not riding on the scope as I see so many times in the Hunting magazines and in the field..I prefer the right side scope up facing back or left side scope up facing forward. both suit me. If your not real into horses best to use left side scope up facing forward. The right side carry makes mounting the horse awkward ti dangerous to the beginner and stepping off with rifle in hand in one motion has to be learned. I grew up with rifle on horse much of the time so its never been an issue with me..

Beware of lined saddle scabbards as they tend to form moisture and will rust your gun up bigtime, especially sheep skin or some kind of foam..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post