THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Rec for Long Range Shooting School
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rec for Long Range Shooting School
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back for the SAAM school by FTW. Very good, very hands on. Lots of shooting. I learned that there is a lot I did not know.

Very personable, very experienced and very good and working through shooting problems. A father/son combo was in my group, shooting .300 Weatherbys. Both had scope issues that they could not solve. The instructors sorted it out and made them better shoots.

For me, I was having issues with long range (500 to 700 yds) accuracy with the ammo I brought. THey had at least 6 different types of ammo for me to try. I found that 200gr ELDX bullets were the key for my two rifles.

I also learned that the 6.5 Creedmore is THE hot cartridge. I suspect that I am the last to learn this but it was obvious there.

Matt Bettersworth with Hill Country Rifles was there testing some super long range guns and calibers. They were shooting 2000 to 3600 yards!!!

This place as over 30 ranges and courses spread over 12,000 acres. It is extremely well run and managed. Food was top notch as were the accomodations.

It is in the middle of nowhere not far from Kerrville or Junction TX.

You will be a better shooter if you attend.

I will go back next year for the Safari and Precision shooting follow up class.

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Just got back for the SAAM school by FTW. Very good, very hands on. Lots of shooting. I learned that there is a lot I did not know.

Very personable, very experienced and very good and working through shooting problems. A father/son combo was in my group, shooting .300 Weatherbys. Both had scope issues that they could not solve. The instructors sorted it out and made them better shoots.

For me, I was having issues with long range (500 to 700 yds) accuracy with the ammo I brought. THey had at least 6 different types of ammo for me to try. I found that 200gr ELDX bullets were the key for my two rifles.

I also learned that the 6.5 Creedmore is THE hot cartridge. I suspect that I am the last to learn this but it was obvious there.

Matt Bettersworth with Hill Country Rifles was there testing some super long range guns and calibers. They were shooting 2000 to 3600 yards!!!

This place as over 30 ranges and courses spread over 12,000 acres. It is extremely well run and managed. Food was top notch as were the accomodations.

It is in the middle of nowhere not far from Kerrville or Junction TX.

You will be a better shooter if you attend.

I will go back next year for the Safari and Precision shooting follow up class.

What kind of wind instruction did you get?

I agree ELDs are awesome.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We spent a lot of time on judging wind and learning what to look for. For those with mil-dot scopes, the calculations were quick and usually pretty good. My scope does not have the mill dots so I did estimating. Worked ok but would have preferred a mil dot.

I had not idea how much affect the wind has. Past 350 yds, it matters.

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FTW backs up to my South fence line.

I hear a lot more misses than hits. But since they are always bangin away over there the animals pay no attention to gunfire.....

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
How were you seeing the bullet holes at long ranges or were you shooting at steel?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post