Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
1000 yard shot. Barreled Action taped to a 2X4

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Sure, it's ugly.

But can it shoot? jumping

Pine.

The new synthetic. rotflmo

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's no worse looking than my last couple of stocking projects.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on, the guy had a sighter...what is so hard about that? He missed by over 2 MOA his first shot.

I noticed he wasn't wearing shooting glasses either...dumb.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I'll admit to not wearing glasses very often.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:

I'll admit to being dumb myself. When I practice long range shooting I almost always shoot two guns at a time. This summer I was shooting a .300 RUM and a 7 STW. I shot at 822 yards, then moved up to 744. I shot the .300 first. At the shot, I felt searing pain in my right eye; tons of blood was pouring out of my face. The case was split up the side, but no sign of high pressure.

At first I thought I had loaded the wrong powder (that is why I checked the primer after the shot), but a few days later (and over $1000 in emergency room charges above my insurance) I figured out what happened:

I fed an STW case into the .300; I did this once before some years ago with no ill affects - the case simply fireformed to the dimension of the chamber. However, this case was very old and brittle and ruptured longitudinally. The faint ring around the belt gave me fair warning the case was getting old, but I ignored it. I believe the powder detonated once the case split.

Right after the shot, I took out my right contact lens, but saved it. Several days later, while being checked by my optometrist, I asked him to okay my contact lens. He mounted it some kind of optical device, chuckled, then asked me to take a look...

The lens had a huge chip on it; a clamshell shaped piece was missing from the edge. I could see this with my naked eye but I never even checked.

My optometrist said I should have been wearing shooting glasses, but my contact lens acted as a barrier and possibly saved my vision. I still have a piece of gunpowder embedded in my eye.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:

I wear them every minute I am on the range. I hope you don't have to learn the hard way. I learned the easy way, I got a fragment of lead buried in my fingernail. It was so small I couldn't tell what it was until the next day when I went to work and examined it under a microscope. It hit at a shallow angle and deeply buried itself. If it had hit me in the eye it would have been a major problem. I have also been hit in the face by fragments from downrange and from other ranges.

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eye injuries are very common amongst shooters that don't wear shooting glasses, especially if they reload. A person can lose the vision in his eye just from the hot gases that are released when we have a case failure. I had a catastrophic case failure when pistol shooting with a 22 LR Ruger just about 6 months ago. It left small pieces of brass stuck in my glasses and my cheek just below the glasses.

DON'T WEAR GLASSES IF YOU DON'T VALUE YOUR EYESIGHT. Sooner or later you will lose it.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
recalls to me a certain nascar 9,3x62 ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post