New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long range Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you say you used a Turk bolt, do you mean a 1903 Turk bolt? Did you use a Turk bolt in order to work around the safety breaching? Just curious, as I have a 1924 Yugo action sitting in the closet. Anything special that one must do to a Turk bolt to make them work with a 1924?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Does it feed smoothly? Were any moods done to aid in fefeeding? I'm asking because I have an intermediate Mauser and 6.5WSM would be loads of fun.

Posts: 7477 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to ask the obvious question. Why do all of that work on an old Mauser when you make such nice new actions?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Matt, The bolt is a 1903 Turk bolt. The Yugo bolts are missing the raised projections on the left side of the bolt face, These projections are found on both sides of the ejector cut in front of the Left bolt locking lug, the projections are necessary for reliable CRF. The Yugo bolt would occasionally miss the pick up and act as a push feed as related to feeding the 7mm WSM cartridge, going to the 1903 Turk bolt which has the projections solved the problem not allowing the rim to skate off to the left side when feeding.

LDO, Feeding is very smooth and this rifle holds 3 down very nicely, the reason for this is the magazine is engineered for the WSM case this width engineering includes all WSM and RCM cases, one of the keys to good reliable cartridge feed is to first start with a proper stagger stack, get the stack right, get the feed right is the natural progression of work on a conversion which is what this is. In starting this magazine my question was, What is the proper stack width for this? I've built a few 404 Jeffery actions from scratch and figured the 404 and WSM case heads are so close in size that I should draw up the box basically as a 404 short and 3.250 internal to match the Yugo's length. Next I wrote code to make the magazine on the cnc machine, then mfg'ed two magazines. Next I made fixture that holds the receiver upside down in the cnc machine, the fixture has a tooling access port in it so machine tooling may access the under rail area of the receiver for reassignment from 8x57 geometry to WSM/RCM. The CNC machine is used to remove the necessary amount of material quickly,
final tuning of the feed is done by hand with a dremmel and polishing stones and emery paper to achieve perfection of the feed. The machine work is a science, the hand work is an art, combining the two takes experience and a good dose of "feel" for the work.

Lindy, The rifle featured in this post is a test rifle that answers a number of questions for me. The 1st question is, can an M98 based rifle be a consistent sub-moa rifle? Can it be a consistent sub 1/2 moa rifle? Yes this is possible. Another one of my questions was to make a magazine the holds three WSM/RCM rounds with correct feeding. Yes this is possible.
Now that I have a better idea of what is possible from this platform I'm working on phase 2 of this rifle.

Phase 2 is a Satterlee titanium M-98 intermediate action, Large ring, 1.062 x 16 x .800 thread tennon, 4340 CM bolt, small pin hole. Integral 20 MOA, WSM/RCM magazine. 22 inch proof sendero light barrel in 7-300 WSM (better Norma brass) T-beast suppressor, carbon manners folder. The LR world is growing and there are interesting things to be learned there.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post