Notify
Tools

Long range Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
Hi guys,
Here is a long range Mauser I built for myself.

Caliber: 7mm WSM.313neck.250freebore,borerider.
175gr Hornady ELDX 3100 FPS, ES 8 Fps.
72gr RL-26
Federal 215 primer
C.O.A.L. 3.165
Rifle:
Yugo 24/47 Receiver.
Turk bolt speed locked to 1/2 pin travel.
Tubb mainspring. original pin.
Custom Satterlee bottom metal 3 down, easily.
Single round feeding gives full load of 4 rnds.
Satterlee 3pos safety.
Murphy rail with 8x40 and 1/8 Hardened pins.
Krieger light palma 1-8.5 twist, 26 inches.
PTG Remington bolt handle retro to mauser bolt.
Modified Alaska 70 trigger 2lbs.
Mcmillan Interarms mark X, bedding Devcon steel.
Nightforce SHV 5-25.
Rifle shoots 1/4 MOA
So far I've taken a mule deer and a coyote with it.

3 shots 100 yds

Posts: 1207 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. I'm a Mauser fan from my youth and them being the most affordable rifles around. Your's appears very well done, and apparently accurate as well.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 15 January 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What metal finish did you put on the action? Looks great with the stainless barrel.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great to me. I'm a big Mauser fan. How many rounds were fired into that group?

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The metal finish is unfinished "in the white" as we call it. I did get the barrel Nitrided since the photo, Nitride extends the life of the barrel. Nitride looks good as well.
Final finish on the rest of the metal will be Mark Lee Express Rust Blue.

The group is a 3 shot group. My best so far from this rifle.

I started out running IMR 7977, no speed 2800 on a 180 Berger, accuracy .3 to .7

I switched to RL-26 and the 175gr eldx picked up 300 a second, accuracy .1 to .4

Timan

Posts: 1207 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. I guess I assumed it was stainless being in the synthetic stock.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
The metal finish is unfinished "in the white" as we call it. I did get the barrel Nitrided since the photo, Nitride extends the life of the barrel. Nitride looks good as well.
Final finish on the rest of the metal will be Mark Lee Express Rust Blue.

The group is a 3 shot group. My best so far from this rifle.

I started out running IMR 7977, no speed 2800 on a 180 Berger, accuracy .3 to .7

I switched to RL-26 and the 175gr eldx picked up 300 a second, accuracy .1 to .4

Timan

ELD's are smokin' - I get phenomenal groups with the 210 .308 and the 285 .338

I should have said 208 30's.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Tinman

Great looking rifle and great results you are getting there.

I would really like to know more about the bedding job, and would really like to see a photo if possible?

I ask because I have a 300WM made on a Zastava M70 action with a Pacnor barrel that will consistently shoot 2 shots touching, but with one shot an inch or more out of a 3 shot group. My gunsmith is very familiar with Mauser actions and makes very good target rifles (though not with Mauser actions), but I still wonder if I could improve the accuracy of this rifle with new bedding.

Posts: 422 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Those ELDs do great from my 338 Lapua Improved, I look forward to trying them for my 6.5 SAUM

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Hi Tyler,
Will you be doing a special throat in your 6.5 R-SAUM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"only accurate rifles are interesting"

That is an interesting rifle!
Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Tinman

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jon Evans
posted Hide Post
Nice Job as always looks good.

Posts: 2 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Sometimes an intermediate action length is just what the Dr. ordered. Very nice build! tu2

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post