New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leica Ballistics Cal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Currently using the G7 range finder for ballistics and the early model leica 10X42 range finder for optics on long range shots(up to 1200 yds).
The G7 is calibrated to my Night force custom turret and is right on.
I would like to consider the new Leica 10X42 HD-B. However I understand the ballistic calculator will not accurately calculate high bullet coefficients as the G7 but much less at G1 coefficients.
Anyone here have any experience with this?

Posts: 209 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both. The Geovid has a microSD card that you can program using MV, BC etc - you go to a website in the instruction manual and enter in the data; it generates a file that you then save to the SD card. You then load the card into the battery housing.

The website was actually created by G7; here it is:

http://leicaflash.leica-camera.com/leicadroptest.html

The output file is a lookup table; I am not sure how the math works in terms of taking that output and calculating the impact of angle, temp, etc. I did some testing out to 800 yards and it worked; also worked well a rock target at 635 yards and a very steep angle (I think the effective range was 573 yards).

The Leica will not give a ballistic solution past 800 yards (might be slightly more; can't remember). It doesn't give you the wind deflection, which is a huge issue IMO. Finally, the G7 can store five ballistic profiles whereas the Geovid can access only one on the SD card (there are some stored profiles, but none really matched what I wanted to do).

The Geovid is much more limited in terms of the environmental conditions of your zero; I am not sure if they assume standard conditions or not. One way to get around it is to zero at 500 yards, note the effective range on the Geovid, then set your turret for that range.

Hope that helps.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ordered and will be here this Friday. Just in time to download my ballistics and practice. We are leaving for NZ in 2 weeks, Stag, Chamois, Him Tahr.

Posts: 209 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
to get the correct results for the custom Leica G7 ballistics curve, I had to manipulate the BC and velocity.
I had recorded my exact ballistics curve with the G7 BR2. Again as said in the beginning this matched my 7LRM rifle which is a custom from Aaron Davidson at Gunwerks. Aaron goes to extra effort to match the rifle, turret and G7BR2 rangefinder. For an example the curve results from the (Leica G7) at 800 yds was -119 inches, The Gunwerks G7 curve at 800 yds is -109 inches. By adjusting or rather manipulating both BC and velocity I am now within 1 1/2 inches at all 100 yd intervals from ranges 300 yds to 800 yds with a 200 yd zero both curves considered.