New
Find
Notify
Tools

long range scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a budget of 950$ for scope, have heavy barrel 300 win mag custom rifle, would like to try and shoot to 1500 yards with, have talked to alot of experts and the type of scope they recommend I will not be able to get for some time, I have heard alot of good reviews on the vortex viper pst series, are there any other cosiderations before I do this. This wouldn't be a hunting scope just want to challenge being capable of hits at that distance.

Posts: 85 | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
I got my vortex viper from cameraland... with a bdc reticle... other than it only works at full 16 power,, and I can see my heartbeat at 16x, its great.. i'll but another, but with a different reticle...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a 6.5x20 Zeiss Conquest with a bullet drop reticle from the Camera Land demo list for a couple hundred less than you are budgeting. I really like it!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Some of the review on some of the Vipers state that the eye relief isn't that great. For a .300 Win Mag, I passed on Vortex, for that very reason.

Still haven't decided what to get ... In that $950 price range sounds like Leupold is really the only player.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierra whiskey:
I have a budget of 950$ for scope, have heavy barrel 300 win mag custom rifle, would like to try and shoot to 1500 yards with, have talked to alot of experts and the type of scope they recommend I will not be able to get for some time, I have heard alot of good reviews on the vortex viper pst series, are there any other cosiderations before I do this. This wouldn't be a hunting scope just want to challenge being capable of hits at that distance.

I have a Nightforce 3.5X15X50 with the NP-R2 reticle that I replaced with a S&B that I will let you have for 1,000.00 dollars plus shipping. That is an excellent price for this scope

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stretch your budget and get something you'll be happy with. That used NXS is a good choice but you'll probably end up like me and want more power. My LR 300 WM wears a 5.5-22x NXS with the NP-R2 reticle. I wish that I had another for my 308 though the 3.5-15x NXS it currently wears works quite well. You can always turn them down, but it's hard to turn them up past the top end!

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have worked on a few guns from friends that had the Viper PST on them. I have shot them pretty extensively at this point and find them to be good scopes.

The one I most recently used was a 6-24x with MOA reticle and adjustments. That rifle was a Remington Sendero .300Win Mag I bedded and did load development for. Shooting 190gr Bergers over H1000 for about 2980fps I find there to be adequate eye-relief.

I would seriously consider the offer for the Nightforce. I had one and lost it along with the rifle when it was stolen from me. I feel 1x magnification for every 100m is plenty and don't feel like you will be underpowered if you are shooting steel. If you are trying to shoot Xs on paper you may want more magnification. I shot a night sniper comp last week with my scope on 5x because of atmospheric conditions and targets went out to 800m.

Currently my long range hunting rifle has an NXS 2.5-10x32mm if that is any endorsement. I shoot mostly Leupold scopes for work and they work well. I don't own a Vortex (except for binos) but would if my budget made me choose between their PST and Leupold's SFP scopes.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would jump on jwp;s Nightforce!
My experience over the years has been the vast majority of scopes do not have turrets up to the task. They must be repeatable. They must be calibrated correctly. I've had mixed success with the otherwise excellent Zeiss Conquest. 1 out of three had good turrets. I've never been a Leupold fan, and the few I have used failed to deliver adequate turret function. The two Nightforces I have owned were spot on, as is the Schmidt Bender on my long range varmint rifle.
I am currently using the 2.5-10 NF on a light weight .270 WSM, and it has given precise turret function. That rifle has shot around a half MOA at 850 yards, dialed back to zero, then out again to shoot at 5 or 600, back to zero... you get the idea.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrad:
My experience over the years has been the vast majority of scopes do not have turrets up to the task. They must be repeatable. They must be calibrated correctly. I've had mixed success with the otherwise excellent Zeiss Conquest. 1 out of three had good turrets. I've never been a Leupold fan, and the few I have used failed to deliver adequate turret function. The two Nightforces I have owned were spot on, as is the Schmidt Bender on my long range varmint rifle.
I am currently using the 2.5-10 NF on a light weight .270 WSM, and it has given precise turret function. That rifle has shot around a half MOA at 850 yards, dialed back to zero, then out again to shoot at 5 or 600, back to zero... you get the idea.

I shoot twice a week at long range. On Friday mornings I gong shoot at 500 yards. On Tuesdays I shoot at 600, 700, 750, and 820. I use three brands: Leupold, Nightforce, and Horus. The Horus I obviously don't click. But I have never had a problem with Leupold scopes not returning to zero.

A bigger issue IMO is getting a good solid mount. Toss the Redfield style mounts in the trash for a starter...

Speaking of Redfield, now there was a scope that absolutely didn't track when you dialed up/down.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrad:

+1

That is a very good deal. I have a NF 3.5x15x56 and I love it. I also have the NP-R2 reticle. I would buy another one.

Edit: I would want more magnification for the distance you stated.

They are heavy, so you really need to be sure you have a solid base and rings. This is critical for heavier recoiling rifles. I would epoxy the base or pin it for heavy recoil. Check with NF for recommendations for your rifle if you decide on NF. I use a pic rail and it is easy to level the scope with feeler gauges.

Posts: 503 | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I concur, JWP's deal is much more than fair and a NXS is a very solid scope.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest looking for a good used Nightforce. If you can get 20 or 25X on the top end it won't be wasted. Don't be concerned with seeing your pulse. It's always there whether you see it or not. If you can see it there are things you can do to mitigate your pulse when shooting long distance.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post