THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Best LONG RANGE SCOPE for the money...your thoughts?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best LONG RANGE SCOPE for the money...your thoughts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best buy out there for a first-rate long-range scope. To work it must track very well.

Anybody can go out a spend $2000.00 plus and get a first-rate scope, but I'm thinking of something in the less than $1500.00 range.

Posts: 3720 | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PRB guy did a pretty thorough comparison. Have you seen his stuff? Nightforce seems to be a pretty good bet. Repeatable turrets with a lot of elevation, decent glass, etc.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AI User, I am glad you asked the question. I am curious also. I just picked up a Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20 in a trade. It retails at $1500 and from what I have seen has good reviews.

Anybody using one of these?

I am new to the long range world and not what you would call "serious" but plan to put this on 600 yard coyote rifle. I am hoping it works well for the application.

Posts: 116 | Location: Montana | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may be the best buy on the market...what do you think?

Nightforce SHV Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-14x 56mm MOAR reticle...$975.00.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is used out of the question? You could get a used NXS for that.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
Is used out of the question? You could get a used NXS for that.

jpl, where? AIU

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The best scope for under $1500 is the Bushnell 3-21 34mm Tactical.

It is first focal plane, has decent adjustment and tracks true.

Leupold has really amazing scopes for under $1500, most of the Mark 4 line can be had in that price range.

The Vortex Viper PST is solid for under $1000.

If you can shit another $1000, I'd get a Nightforce First Focal Plane.

My local gunshop has a Leupold Mark 6 34mm 3-18 for $1750. That is as low as a guy can find one for unless you have a Leupold Pro Deal (military, federal government or law enforcement)

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are my opinions.

Close to but under $1500:

Leupold VX6 3-18X44 or 3-18X50 pick your reticle.

Super Sniper HD 5-20X50 Really a solid scope. Heavy, but really good glass and great tracking.

Sightron S3 6-24X50, just a solid scope overall.

Trijicon 5-20X50 Accupoint. Annoying mil dot/MOA turrets, but they track well, and have good glass.

The latest version of the Burris XTR 2 scopes are supposed to be pretty impressive. I have not seen one though. Early examples were rumored to have tracking issues.

Under $1000:

Nightforce SHV, tracks well, good glass but no zero stop.

Weaver Tactical 3-15, 4-20 or 6-30. Heavy, no zero stop, but good glass, and track well. These are hugely underrated scopes IMO.

Super Sniper 3-15X42. Very close to the Weaver offerings. Good scope.

Burris Veracity line of scopes are on par with Vortex Viper PST with slightly better glass. My 3-15x50 Veracity is clearer at top power than my Viper PST 4-16X50.

Monttrap: The Huskemaw has good glass, but it has 1/3 MOA turrets. If you use their calibrated turret, no issue. If you dial using just the MOA turret, 1/3 MOA is annoying. The eyebox is a little hard to get behind at high magnification, IMO. Overall, they are a good scope, and they work.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have a Weaver Tactical 3-15 it is awesome!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post