THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    8mm Mauser (8x57) for long range hunting?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm Mauser (8x57) for long range hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning on getting a European rifle in this caliber for shooting 300-500 yards.

I've been discussing this caliber, and heard conflicting information about its viability. I was told that there are two bullet sizes for this round and that there are no good 8mm Mauser ammo available in the US.

Can you please shed some light on this and advice on the best performing ammo that I can buy in the US?

Thanks.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

Posts: 193 | Registered: 09 December 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Euro optics has Tikka T3s coming in September of 2015. I have one on order. They are among the cheaper end of 8x57 rifles. All modern 8x57 rifles are built with .323 barrels.

Not that things are confusing enough but there is also a Rimmed version 8x57R or 8x57 JRS or 8x57 IRS all the same .323 rimmed cartridge.

Sierra and Lapua make match bullets for the 8x57. It's a great cartridge don't be afraid of seeming obscurity. It is one of the top 10 most popular rifle cartridges in the Europe. Though it wouldn't make that list in America.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300-500yds is not long range in modern terms or on this site. Go to the Long range shooting thread !
An 8x57 is the European equivalent of the 30/06. Plenty + for 300-500 yds. Just ask Speedy Gonzales (a well known man in the accuracy world). You can read some of his stuff on 6mmbr.com. Like this one, a great site. Focuses mainly on accuracy--guns,reloading and shooting. While the 8 x 57 is a great cartridge w/ a long and stellar history, don 't expect to find much info a/b it w/ the 'long range'crowd esp in the US. Too passé for the modern world. You will hear stupid comments like 'you need a 6.5 x 284 to do that' or 'I can't believe you still shoot that old cartridge' or even a truthful genius 'I never heard of that! Is it new ?' And other crap.
One thing is true. You will most likely have a difficult time finding 'target ' ammo, but then, you should be loading your own anyway. IF you are going (to try) and rely on factory ammo, choose a different cartridge.
Go 6 post down in this thread and you can get a good feel of the 'long range' shooting mentality.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are getting a rifle made prior to WWI you will be dealing with the .323 diameter bullet, not the old .318. NORMA and PRIVI load some stout ammo for it. As stated, you will benefit more by re-loading yourself. You will need some heavy boat tail bullets. The 8x57 has a rainbow trajectory so pick a scope and mounts that will allow for adequate adjustment.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian564:
I am planning on getting a European rifle in this caliber for shooting 300-500 yards.

I've been discussing this caliber, and heard conflicting information about its viability. I was told that there are two bullet sizes for this round and that there are no good 8mm Mauser ammo available in the US.

Can you please shed some light on this and advice on the best performing ammo that I can buy in the US?

Thanks.

Posts: 3665 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to try shooting long range with an 8x57, go for it, but there are better rounds for long range shooting that this one.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I saw RWS target ammunition for the 8x57. I don´t know if they do those anymore?.

GECO makes some:
http://www.grauwolf.net/8x57-i...ronen-50-stueck.html

More:
http://www.frankonia.de/8x57+I...Artikelnummer=156737

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post