THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Value of hitting a 1 meter target at 4 or 5 thousand yards?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value of hitting a 1 meter target at 4 or 5 thousand yards?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What were the original 1000 yard Creedmoor targets dimensions that they were lobbing 45-70 bullets at?
I guess if you could spray the area with multiple shots you could hit someone if your accuracy was within 3'

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many military arms (WW I & WWII) had sight settings out to 2000 meters. Mass fire falling on troop concentrations is not much fun on the receiving end.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Anybody have access to a 6000 yard patch of BLM, a good ballistics calculator, a couple boxes of ammo, and a 4x4 sheet of plywood, and 338 Lapua/50 BMG class cartridge. You could probably claim a "New World Record".

My point is not really with the shooters, it is with the author of the article.

This. It's interesting that we can develop the technology to do this, but to crow about it is unseemly. On the other hand, he has to earn a living...

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

Posts: 1111 | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

This guy hit a 4' wide target once after 36 misses and their calling it a great feat of marksmanship. What a load of crap! He barely nicked the edge of the target on his 37th shot. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. How can that be considered anything but blind luck? If you throw enough lead, sooner or later you're going to hit something.

Just read this:

http://americangg.net/texan-br...-record-3-mile-shot/

41-year-old Bill Poor hit a 53″ target from 5,280 with a .408 CheyTac firing a 390 gr bullet at 3,160 fps after firing eight shots.

280 yards further with 28 fewer shots.

One day they will be grouping shots at 4 or 5000 yards. It may involve new technology coupled with Doppler radar or something crazy. To hit a one minute target at 3 miles is impressive to me.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Long range shooting by experts amazes me, but I have no desire to do so, basically I.m just a hunter and a meat eater, and the hunt itself is the most important part, the kill is just the end of the fun! and the work begins..The topping of the ice cream...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
We had a customer come in (young guy, too much internet) wanting us to build a rifle to "set a record" at some range over 4000. He wanted a 375-50 BMG. I asked how big the target is, he didn't know!
Good news is after given a price we never saw him again.

I would have thought you would have been glad to take his money.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
jpl,

Your mixing "apples and oranges". My comment is regarding the technology and your comment is regarding the validity of the sport itself.

If someone boasted they had developed a driver that allows you to hit a golf ball between 450-1100 yards but they can only keep it within 65 yards of lateral dispersion (width of a typical fairway) 1 out of 30 times, I would make the same comment because both have no useful practical application.

What practical purpose does hitting a golf ball into hole in the ground have at all? You cant kill a gopher with a golf ball. So why bother? It is just a great big wast of time, effort and resources.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post