THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Value of hitting a 1 meter target at 4 or 5 thousand yards?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value of hitting a 1 meter target at 4 or 5 thousand yards?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
The difference is in the point of view. To some, hitting with the first shot is a job well done. To others, shooting a group is important.

They belong in different groups, just like hunters and target shooters, stalkers and long distance hunters, those who like machine guns and those who like double rifles, ethical hunters and those who take shots at everything and do not mind where/if they hit.

Some people like multiple disciplines and all firearms, some people like only one discipline or only one type of firearm.

It just depends on one's point of view.

Hitting on the first shot or shooting a measurable group would be an accomplishment. Hitting it once after 37 tries is a joke.

I long range shoot almost monthly and shooting 2 MOA at 1,000 yards (360 points) won't get you in the top half of the finishers in our local group. If that guy could hold 2 MOA at 5,000 yards I'd consider that worth mentioning.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
The value is personnel satisfaction for the shooter.

The cool factor.

Bragging rights.

People who have never shot passed a 100 yards have told what is the value.

Of about hitting targets 500 yards and out.

Heck some open sighted 30-30 shooters have said the same about hitting targets at 200 yards.

They hunt the thick stuff where a 100 yard shot is long.

Or pistol shooters who say heck the average range of a self defense shooting is under 7 yards why do you shoot at 25 yards.

No one can hit a target that far our with a handgun.

Personal perception means a lot.

Posts: 19304 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hitting it once after 37 tries is a joke

One has to start some where.

How doses one gain experience in doing any shooting

The first times I tried very fast multiple targets at self defense distances I sucked.

Now I am able to shoot multiple rounds on multiple targets fast with many of them going into the same hole.

Way to many shooter complain about another mans game because they can't do it them selves.

Posts: 19304 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Because it is more fun that sitting in your basement watching some dickhead who can't salute the flag make $30,000,000 a year catching a pigskin.

I like ultra long range shooting. I think it is a lot of fun.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or pistol shooters who say heck the average range of a self defense shooting is under 7 yards why do you shoot at 25 yards.

PD:
Boy, how right you are - it seems hardly anyone shoots a pistol at 25 yards anymore - 10 yards...WTF? Some of those groups at 10 yards are huge.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of my buddy in high school who said he could curl 140 lbs. I called bullsh*t.

He picked up the bar got it to a about 1/2 way and failed.

He tried again and when he got it to 1/2 way and stalled out, he then bent way over backwards to the point of almost falling over and of course the curl was completed. He then looked around and said "Well, most people can't even do that" and declared a new personal best.

Anybody have access to a 6000 yard patch of BLM, a good ballistics calculator, a couple boxes of ammo, and a 4x4 sheet of plywood, and 338 Lapua/50 BMG class cartridge. You could probably claim a "New World Record".

My point is not really with the shooters, it is with the author of the article.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10042 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
So it's the tallest mountain, whoopee. Everest has been summited by 4,469 different people, 7,646 times so what's the use of doing it now? People just want to say, "I did that", the same way people want to say that they hit a target at 4,000, yards.

I just saw the story about a new "World's Record"

BREAKING: Americans Connect at 5,000 Yards (2.84 Miles) for NEW Long Range World Record

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...-range-world-record/

This guy hit a 4' wide target once after 36 misses and their calling it a great feat of marksmanship. What a load of crap! He barely nicked the edge of the target on his 37th shot. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. How can that be considered anything but blind luck? If you throw enough lead, sooner or later you're going to hit something.

Not that it really matters, but the articles I've read stated the hit came on the "7th shot of the third set of 10 rounds" which is shot #27, not #37.
I agree it's not a big deal to get one lucky hit, since that's really all it was.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
What caliber and scope was he using? I think it is great but I don't know bout getting to excited about a world record. I'd like to try it but 1000yds is about all I can get out of my scope/rifle setup right now. You are talking alot of specilized equipment at that distance.

God Bless, Louis

OK just looked at the link.

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 moa @ 1000yds. is some 20" in diameter and X ring is 1 moa or some 10" and keeping them in the 2 moa range would most likely not give a winning score w/ experienced long range shooters. Now if shooting w/ support, bag, bipod, so called F class and good equipment scores would be higher versus prone, sling, micrometer peep sights, maybe. Most skilled long range shooters as in Palma Matches will often have over 50% of their hits in the X ring or they are not having a good day and that is saying some half of their shots are 1 moa without support.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The next thing of world record would be somebody hits a barn at 7239 yards with a .375 CheyTac.. Big Grin

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
What occurs to me is what is the point? because most shooting technology is based on some practical application.

What is the point of smacking a little plastic ball with a stick to try and get it into a hole? What is practical about this activity? Billions of dollars are spent on this for some reason. Countless resources are spent turning deserts into imitations of Scotland. It makes no sense to me...

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
jpl,

Your mixing "apples and oranges". My comment is regarding the technology and your comment is regarding the validity of the sport itself.

If someone boasted they had developed a driver that allows you to hit a golf ball between 450-1100 yards but they can only keep it within 25 yards of lateral dispersion (width of a typical fairway) 1 out of 30 times, I would make the same comment because both have no useful practical application.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10042 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the King of 2Miles is a better indication of long range accuracy.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If two enemy soldiers are standing side by side and you shoot at one from 5000 yds and hit his buddy, I would think that invaluable especially from a psych angle.

If you can reliably hit a 40" square at 5000 you should be able to place your shots on a deers chest at 2500 or so.

Bottom line if you can call and make shots at extreme distances, then normal ranges should be a slam dunk.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a customer come in (young guy, too much internet) wanting us to build a rifle to "set a record" at some range over 4000. He wanted a 375-50 BMG. I asked how big the target is, he didn't know!
Good news is after given a price we never saw him again.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post