Notify
Tools

Best choice?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted
Gents,

I've joined a private range that offers long range steel. I have a couple rifles that would both probably be suitable to build up as long range shooters.

Ruger 77 Mark II .300 Win mag. Bill Wiseman custom.

Weatherby Mark V SS fluted barrel 7mm Weatherby Mag.

Both have Swarovski 4 x 12's and both have good, crisp Timney triggers. I am not sure if I need an adjustable turret scope dealio of not?

I'm new to LRS and will accept any and all advise.

I also have a Ferret .50BMG with a big Nightforce, 5x25 x 56.

The only place I can shoot it is way out in the desert about an hours drive. None of the ranges close-by allow them yet. I would consider a scope swap.

What say ye...

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3370 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not take the Ruger out to the range the way it is and give it a try? Use the experience to guide your build.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just take those 300 magnum out and bang away.

There was a time when the 300 Win Mag was used in 1000 yard NRA competition but when 6.5 mm improved ballistic bullets finally made it on to the market, those cannons were set aside. 300 Magnums have tremendous blast and recoil, both of which promote flinch. And, all that horsepower is not conducive to accuracy in standard actions because things flex so much.

But, just go out and shoot the things, you will develop your own opinions about them at the range. Might as well shoot the barrels out, before chasing the next cartridge du jour.

Posts: 1219 | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both rifles would be good for big game hunting especially paired with your scope choices.

BUT.... smaller cartridges seem to promote shooter accuracy and the barrels last longer.

There's a real love/hate for the 6.5, or even the 6mm, Creedmoor's but they work well for target application and you'd be hard pressed to find better.

Yes, If you're shooting multiple distances at gongs, turrets are the only way to go.

There's my 2 cents and it was free.

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've joined a private range that offers long range steel

What is long range.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Take both.

Try them.

And pick the best that suits your purpose.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66911 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I've joined a private range that offers long range steel

What is long range.

There is AR500 steel out to 700 for sure. They get moved frequently and can go out to 1000’. They aren’t marked as to make you find the targets and establish firing solutions.

The part I find most intriguing, when you reserve a range, it’s yours. Not a bunch of muzzle-blast or over-zealous range masters looking for someone to embarrass.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3370 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
Gents,

I've joined a private range that offers long range steel. I have a couple rifles that would both probably be suitable to build up as long range shooters.

Ruger 77 Mark II .300 Win mag. Bill Wiseman custom.

Weatherby Mark V SS fluted barrel 7mm Weatherby Mag.

Both have Swarovski 4 x 12's and both have good, crisp Timney triggers. I am not sure if I need an adjustable turret scope dealio of not?

I'm new to LRS and will accept any and all advise.

I also have a Ferret .50BMG with a big Nightforce, 5x25 x 56.

The only place I can shoot it is way out in the desert about an hours drive. None of the ranges close-by allow them yet. I would consider a scope swap.

What say ye...

The .300 or 7 mag are fine.
The good news is you can add adjustable turrett scope dealios dancing

Posts: 457 | Registered: 12 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A muzzle break would be a big help if one of your rifles had one. I would probably pick the weatherby. Put a break on it. Put the NF scope on it. Sight it in at 200 yards, 3/4 inches left of the center. Chrono the load and run the ballistics on one of the free online ballistics calculators. Get a good quality range finder. A bipod for prone shooting then go out and start ringing steel.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're reloading you can find very high BC 7mm bullets well suited to LR.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bghntr416:
A muzzle break would be a big help if one of your rifles had one. I would probably pick the weatherby. Put a break on it. Put the NF scope on it. Sight it in at 200 yards, 3/4 inches left of the center. Chrono the load and run the ballistics on one of the free online ballistics calculators. Get a good quality range finder. A bipod for prone shooting then go out and start ringing steel.

Assume your 3/4 inch left of center is for spin drift; I zero dead on at 500 with no wind and find that offset is .3 inches at 200, or about a click.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bghntr416:

Thanks for that. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Rifle does not have a muzzle break, but after getting my feet wet, can add.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
If you're reloading you can find very high BC 7mm bullets well suited to LR.

Hornady makes a 190 gr. A-Tip, match bullet with a G7 at .422. Not sure about all the G1,G7 or the 'mach' data

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve:

Get the latest SIG or BR4 rangefinders; they take into account spin drift and aerodynamic jump - as well as things like altitude, temp, etc.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, If you're shooting multiple distances at gongs, turrets are the only way to go.

I've got Swarovski Z-5's on many of my rifles and have ordered and use the custom turrets made for them. I can dial waaaay out there, after reading the distance on my Swarovski or Leica Range finding binos. Ordered them from Outdoorsmans's in Phoenix. Easy peasy. tu2

Posts: 18528 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post