Find
Notify
Tools

Scope magnification question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
I am hoping to get some comments from people who actually shoot at longer ranges. What magnification do you actually use on your scope for longer ranges?

I tend to find that for most of my shots, I use a magnification setting around the 12-15 power range. Very rarely do I use the full magnification available in one of my scopes. Just wondering if this is what everyone else finds in their own use? I guess I am wondering how much of the recent trend to higher magnification scopes is driven by marketing vs practicality?

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I've shot out to a half mile with as little as 4X, but these were larger targets. As my eyes get older, I prefer higher magnification.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For 1k BR I used a Nightforce 8-32x56. For my long range hunting rig, one has a 5.5-22 Nightforce the other a Vortex PST in 6-24. My current dedicated target rifle for the informal long range around here has a Sightron 6-24x50.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say INTJ is right on. We shoot rifle matches at our local range to 500 yards and at a friends property from 500 to 1200. Most everyone is using Vortex PST or Razor and a couple have Nightforce all in the 6-24 range give or take a little. You can always dial down but 600 and beyond you'll like having the higher power. I currently have the Vortex PST 6-24 on my 6.5 Creedmore,no complaints. I would like to upgrade to a Nightforce sometime.

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
This is one of those questions that initially the answer is "it depends." It depends on what you are shooting and what you consider "long range. Most LR competitive shooters consider 800, 900, and 1000 yards LR for competition. When I was shooting a scope at these ranges I used a Leupold 24X. Worked for me. Also had a 20MOA base. It was a 1" tube and others prefer 30mm. We also shot irons at this range and some of the shooters were truly impressive.

Now that shooting was all paper bulls eye stuff. If your target is smaller or larger than the black on the target it might influence what you choose.

Out to 600 yards I have done quite well with a simple 6x42 Leupold. Of course I was not shooting bulls eye. All my cross the course was shot with iron sights. Most of my scope work was on other targets.

Also, what are you going to be using the scope for? Just lining up on the bulls eye or target identification as well? Just lining up on the bulls eye for shooters with good eyes requires less magnification than if you have "old guy" eyes like mine. Target identification will require more magnification if you are trying to sort out that trophy antelope at 500 yards.

I have shot game out part 500 yards with a 4x.

It all depends....

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I set my scopes up for whatever they have to be so that the windage lines are correct (unless I am shooting a first focal plane scope). These days I only shoot Nightforce and March.

The magnification is not as important as you might think; reliable adjustments and side parallax focus (to use for last minute wind adjustment) are more important IMO.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot long range NRA matches for number of years and that is with sling, mat, prone position. It is a common comment that the shooter in this style of shooting is indeed known as a "hard holder" if his optics are higher than 15X magnification. Reason is that the human factor, heart/pulse rate, etc. is also magnified by the power of the scope being used and gives the shooter concentration problems. That cross hair/reticle bouncing even the smallest amount will take you out of the X ring easily. You can keep most of the shots in the 10 ring at 1000yds. but homing in on that X ring on a regular basis is tough to do with high magnification scope settings. As the heat of the day, fatigue sets in, it only becomes worse.
Common rule is 1X per 100yds. or 1000yds.would yield 10X. If you check you will find that most highly skilled designated marksman/snipers rarely are using more than 10X as issued optics for their military weapons. The super high magnification scopes being offered today is a disservice to shooters in wanting to become skilled at long range and view this as a marketing concept, but that is just me. I earned High Master Rating in the late 90's and did so the old fashioned way, micrometer peep rear with globe post front sight from ranges of 600 to 1000yds. Was it easy to do, no it was not but always shot better scores than when using optics, again that is just me. If shooting from supported position a high power magnification is not the issue it is in prone sling supported firing, but having said all of this there are some lucky, skilled shooters that can deal with the high magnification optics. I have two scopes for shooting off bags or rests, one being Leupold MK 4 16X and one Unertl 16X and both serve their purpose for that method of casual shooting. The less complicated, cluttered, the reticle is the better and one prime reason not fond of variable scopes either, just more to go wrong and fiddle with instead of concentrating on that sight picture and reading the wind, mirage, temperature changes, light, etc., etc.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Depends on your application...to shoot steel I find myself using more magnification. I have 5x20 Razor gen1 and a XRS 4.5x30 bushnell tact elite I really like. On my hunting guns I have moved to the Bushnell LRHS 3x12 or 4.5x18s and found them excellent. I rarely use over 12 power to shoot game....

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost never move my mag ring from 12x while shooting an entire match.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sat behind a 8X80 March a couple years ago. Gives you a choice doesn't it.
I know, they are not for everybody's pocketbook.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot competitive 1k BR from 2005-2007. During that time competitors were transitioning from boosted Leupolds to high end scopes. Many guys were still using a Vari X III in 6.5x20 with the power doubled. Those guys often had to crank the power down to get a clear picture.

I used a Nightforce 8-32x56 and was always able to run at 32x, even when mirage was heavy. The Nightforce was that much better than the Leupolds. Yes, the floating dot would dance around but I just centered the movement and shot 5 official screamer groups in about a year.

High magnification levels have become a significant asset with modern high quality glass.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 3.5-15X56NXS on my switch barrel 22-240Wby/6mm-06.

Might put a 5.5-22X56 NXS on it this year.

Mirage is a real problem with our hot weather...

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
I use a 3.5-15X56NXS on my switch barrel 22-240Wby/6mm-06.

Might put a 5.5-22X56 NXS on it this year.

Mirage is a real problem with our hot weather...

As it was when I has shooting in Arizona, though I think on a relatively cool early morning with a barrel too hot to touch produced the worst mirage I have seen. I even bought a barrel shield, which was little more than a piece of metallic Venetian blind held on with rubber bands....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
Depends on your application...

+1

I've used between 4 and 42 power in matches or playing around--depending on what the target was, what the rifle was, if the target was moving, how much time I had to find it and/or the next target, whether or not I needed to see the impact, whether I was trying to use the reticle markings, trying to read mirage or flags, etc.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm an older (65 yrs old) hunter and shoot benchrest just for fun. I'm simply not a good enough marksman for competition. Most large game I've taken over the years have been within 300 yards; most inside 150 yards. Most of my hunting rifles have 2-7x33 or 35 scopes. My eye are not what they use to be and I recently move up to a SWFA SS 10x42 for hunting at longer range. Based on my initial trials, I think it will extend my distance (and confidence) considerably. My benchrest (target) rifle sports a Sightron III 8-32x56 and I am really pleased with this scope. Honestly though, I'm not sure that the SWFA 10x42 may not have been enough scope for my benchrest rifle since I only have access to 600 yard ranges.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post