THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    .338 Lapua Magnum rifle - developing hunting loads
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338 Lapua Magnum rifle - developing hunting loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
I have no longe range rifle now, so I was looking for something nice for some time. Thinking first of .300 Norma Magnum, but found that components here are almost impossible to obtain. So I changed my mind and started to think about .338 LM. And here is my selection:

Victrix Armaments Scorpio V - https://www.victrixarmaments.c...l/scorpio/scorpio-v/

Plus their bipod, QR suppressor etc.

I chose Zero Compromise Optic ZC840 with MPCT3X reticle - http://www.zcompoptic.com/en-us/products#zc840

I want to reload, already ordered Nosler A-Tip and Berger Elite Hunter 300gr bullets. Want to break in with Lapua factory ammo and get brass at the same time. Ordered already Redding Competition Bushing Neck Die Set too.

Any suggestions or opinions welcome.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
A-Tips arrived today:

Suitable for hunting? Will have to try to fire into some media (wet paper) at muzzle velocity and with reduced load simulating 1 km range for example. Will see...

Also ordered Peregrine VRL4 hunting bullets, Bergers Elite Hunters still on the way.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice setup.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Just what Mike said. Congratulations on finding components available.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Rifle is already in my country. Will keep you up to date, including results, if anybody interested.

Jiri

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very good looking rifle.

I hope you got the longer barrel as the 338 needs it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Thank you Saeed.

Of course I ordered longer barrelled one.

Maybe rifle is nice in our competent eyes, but local hunters either with traditional old school rifles or ugly new Blasers will hate me for sure Big Grin

Jiri

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Let's see a picture all done up!

That's a tier-1 rig.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good rig and accessories but see my post "378WM with Muzzle Brake" in Big Bores. You won't be shooting beside me Big Grin

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Looks like a good rig and accessories but see my post "378WM with Muzzle Brake" in Big Bores. You won't be shooting beside me Big Grin

Ordered sound suppressor too, as posted above. Muzzle brake is just in standard delivery package.

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took part in a shooting course a while ago. Guy next to me had a .338 Lapua with a brake on.

Shot the butler creek scope caps right off my scope, and my hat off my head too!

Suppressor has some disadvantages but on a range it's a winner.

Hope you enjoy the rifle.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri:

I love the 338 Lapua; I shoot a custom built one nearly every day at LR at my CO place. Wind drift is definitely less than lesser cartridges.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:

Ordered sound suppressor too, as posted above. Muzzle brake is just in standard delivery package.

Jiri

Didn't notice you had a suppressor ordered. Doesn't look all that big and just screws on end of muzzle instead of some length over barrel as most of our suppressors are? The magnum suppressor on my 7mm WSM is 1.5" in diameter and 13.5" long with 8.5" back over barrel and 5" forward of muzzle. Barrel trimmed to 21.75" but velocity of factory ammo still slightly above advertised.

FYIW best to not use a cover on suppressors as they hold heat in the compressor which then can get hot enough to cook on.
Person at range last weekend had a neophrene cover on a 300 WSM rifle with suppressor and had to take the cover off as everything was heating up badly even though he was not firing big strings of shots. He could not touch the suppressor without burning his hand when he removed the cover.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
eagle27:

Suppressor construction is different what we all or I know from the past. That one works better than those used on Accuracy International AXMC rifles.

This one is 11.77” long and 2.56” in diameter. Cover is made from Kevlar and is used for removing and heat shielding suppressor when removed.

https://www.romeaccessories.it...signum-qr-338-300-2/

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
eagle27:

Suppressor construction is different what we all or I know from the past. That one works better than those used on Accuracy International AXMC rifles.

This one is 11.77” long and 2.56” in diameter. Cover is made from Kevlar and is used for removing and heat shielding suppressor when removed.

https://www.romeaccessories.it...signum-qr-338-300-2/

At 1150gms that is quite a weighty suppressor but assume your long range rig is not for carrying too far and then shooting will be off the bipod.

In a couple of weeks time I'm off into our Southern Alps for a week after Tahr with my Browning X-Bolt 7mm WSM. The suppressor weighs 570gms cutting recoil by 50% and noise by 66% making the WSM very pleasant to shoot and not too much more extra weight to carry into the very tough alpine area where our Tahr live. At nearly 71yo now every gram counts Big Grin