Find
Notify
Tools

Proof barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
What say you Oh' lords of internet long range shooting?

Anyone own one?

I am going to order two, one of a 6.5 Creedmoor Ar-10 and another for a bolt rifle. I am about to fund a move and plan on getting them in a few months once we get our stuff moved.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one (a .260 Remington on an AR-10). I haven't done a ton of shooting with it but, thus far, it works as-advertised. It cut weight and it does shed heat pretty rapidly.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I would guess that the Florida heat doesn't help much either.

Thanks again!

I am guessing you would buy another?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
My barrels are usually too hot to touch before I fire a shot!

Yes, I'd buy another. Stockys had them on sale recently at a decent discount.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 6.5x47 Lapua with 5R canted lans
it hold's 1/3MOA from a cold clean barrel, 1/4MOA fouled . I'm I'm impressed, cleans up nearly as well as my Kreigers. Looking to get another for my .300WinMag when its shot out.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by faisal:
it hold's 1/3MOA from a cold clean barrel, 1/4MOA fouled . I'm I'm impressed, cleans up nearly as well as my Kreigers. Looking to get another for my .300WinMag when its shot out.

Who is the maker of the 5R canted land barrel, Faisal?

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend shot a long range class with Proof engineers. Their results were what they claimed.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
have 3-
.308 AR, 223 WYLDE AR, 300 WinMag

all great barrels all sub MOA approach 1/2 MOA
with most loads

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boots Obermeyer designed and patented (?) the 5R, has licensed (?) it to a few makers ( Krieger, Remington ? etc)

Obermeyer claims the design reduces bullet deformation and increases exterior ballistics, reduces fouling and creates better obturation/stability with less land wear.

Muzzle stuffers used similar rifling profiles for maybe centuries.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a proof barrel in 308 tactical match. It is fitted to a left hand Stolle Atlas repeater action and mounted in an MDT aluminum chassis with AR 15 pistol grip and stock. I also have a 22-250 AI conventional stainless barrel fitted . It's a switch barrel setup with bench rest Jewell trigger. Haven't received my scope mounts yet so I can't say how it's shoots. I have high expectations.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
quote:
Originally posted by faisal:

Who is the maker of the 5R canted land barrel, Faisal?

I think it was made by Rock Creek Barrels, it came from ABS Barrels a few years ago before Proof Research purchased them.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ABS liked rock creek barrels.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot and seen shot a Proof barrel on a bolt action 300Win Mag, and on a 308 AR 10 TYPE rifle, on distances out to 500 yards. Both were very accurate.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post