THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    My long range rig coming in place
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My long range rig coming in place
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blaser, Made by GM??

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I had bought a Blaser in .300 RUM as needed a PG rifle and being a lefty it was quicker to get a Blaser with Professional stock than to get it built.

I was thinking of getting a 6xC barrel for it as I had let a friend talk me out of my .220 Swift and needed a prairie dog rifle. Then, I ran the barrel life calculator. I'd basically need a new barrel after a weekend.

Instead I am building a new rifle specifically for that and PRS in 6mm Dasher. Yes, barrel life is better, but still needs to be replaced often but half the cost of a Blaser barrel. Not to mention the chassis is going to fit me perfectly.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
I had bought a Blaser in .300 RUM as needed a PG rifle and being a lefty it was quicker to get a Blaser with Professional stock than to get it built.

I was thinking of getting a 6xC barrel for it as I had let a friend talk me out of my .220 Swift and needed a prairie dog rifle. Then, I ran the barrel life calculator. I'd basically need a new barrel after a weekend.

Instead I am building a new rifle specifically for that and PRS in 6mm Dasher. Yes, barrel life is better, but still needs to be replaced often but half the cost of a Blaser barrel. Not to mention the chassis is going to fit me perfectly.

OK?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do have to ask; how accurate is a blaser? Has anyone taken one to a 1000 yd match?

Posts: 261 | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a number of Blaser barrels that shot well under 1/2" at 100 yards. Does something nefarious happen beyond that range to make them unsuitable for long range shooting? Also, their barrels are nitrided, so they last considerably longer than a typical rifle barrel. Just ask any gunsmith who has dulled their tools on Blaser metalwork.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some combinations will open up and not stay under MOA at longer ranges, or so I have been told. I am quite sure that you would be just fine with a rifle with that kind of accuracy. Even better would be if one of those barrels had a twist rate suitable to shoot the bullets that are designed for optimum BC's such as something in 6.5 with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I don’t hate anyone or anything.

Just pointing out the illogic of some brains!

I bet these are short circuit the logical part between the ears.

A couple more short circuits and you would have become a woman!

Or worse! rotflmo

Deep down Saeed you know the blaser platform is the world’s best rifle Big Grin Even the wise Walter uses one and he is a gunsmith than could build his own rifle.

The blaser scope is pretty awesome too.

Mike

Walter’s wisdom is on a par with dung beetle! rotflmo

I like this logic! A friend is snooping about for a recreational long range 6.5 Creedmoor. This is a bit out of my bailiwick. He was in the army in Sweden, so is pretty knowledgeable. Anything off the shelf come to mind?

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

I like this logic! A friend is snooping about for a recreational long range 6.5 Creedmoor. This is a bit out of my bailiwick. He was in the army in Sweden, so is pretty knowledgeable. Anything off the shelf come to mind?

Bergara's B-14 series is an off-the-shelf platform for shooting long distance. Tikka's T3X line offers "tactical" to regular hunting rifle configs and are accurate. The tactical ones get used in PRS along with the Bergaras. And Ruger has the Ruger Precision Rifle.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
I do have to ask; how accurate is a blaser? Has anyone taken one to a 1000 yd match?

https://www.facebook.com/Blase...em/1200137676682962/

Mine shoot between .20-.40 with the factory ammo the barrel likes.

Some blaser owners have shot f-class matches and they shoot middle of pack.

They are not not benchrest accurate otherwise every benchrest shooter be shooting them.

They are more accurate than most military sniper rifles. Blaser seems to have no interest in making any r8 rifles that have any military police use.

Like Biebs said the barrels are super durable and you have a 10 year warranty in which one can try and shoot one out.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somehow I doubt Blaser would replace a .300 RUM barrel that you shot 2K rounds through. Probably considered atypical use or something- and I will bet they claim handloads violate warranty.

I too could afford a Blaser if I wanted one.

If I want fast follow up shots, I grab an auto loader.

If I want precision, I grab one of my heavy barreled guns.

I just think the thing is homely as sin. Will it do the job? Sure.

Maybe someday I will buy one, just to wring one out… but from my end, if the takedown and so forth is so necessary, I might as well rent a rifle where I’m going.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Somehow I doubt Blaser would replace a .300 RUM barrel that you shot 2K rounds through. Probably considered atypical use or something- and I will bet they claim handloads violate warranty.

I too could afford a Blaser if I wanted one.

If I want fast follow up shots, I grab an auto loader.

If I want precision, I grab one of my heavy barreled guns.

I just think the thing is homely as sin. Will it do the job? Sure.

Maybe someday I will buy one, just to wring one out… but from my end, if the takedown and so forth is so necessary, I might as well rent a rifle where I’m going.

They have 10 year warranty on stuff they sell and they have told me they will replace any barrels that are shot out.

They have not had any shot out warranty claims in us yet.

I know magnaport that does specialized blaser barrel threading has a special fee for resharpening of tools after cutting blaser barrels.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
The average hunter likely puts less than 200 rounds through a rifle, in its lifetime. Add to that, the embarrassment of showing up at the line with the ugliest rifle ever conceived, and I doubt Blaser will see any returns.

jumping

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post