THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    My long range rig coming in place
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My long range rig coming in place
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Blaser owners need clinics. So no surprises there.

Both blasers and ftw ranch are not in your income bracket.

A guy who moans about not being able to afford a sig and having to settle for a glock will have trouble buying a blaser mount let alone a blaser rifle Wink

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, this year we've added another 8 Glocks in G17 and G19 for a total now of 22 Glocks, 20 Mosberg 12 gauge, and 4 CZ 550 (donated) to the field.

The Glocks were a good move as they saved the operation more than $15,000 USD and the natives are damn tough on equipment so we don't cry too much over the condition when they return from the field. Personally I despise the things but they go bang when you pull the trigger.

As I said before, I prefer Sigs as they have always been my carry gun, but when in Africa, you don't have a lot of choices.

For the record, can I afford a Blazer easily, but they have a terrible record in Namibia and I couldn't bring myself to display one around my hunting and gun friends; I would never hear the end of it. I would rather date a fat chick with one eye. At least I could explain that one away on bad decision making under the influence of Scotch. There's simply no fucking excuse for owning a Blaser.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really! I like glocks a lot!

They always seem to function well and plenty accurage.

I don't have guns for a status symbol.

Is your blazer ostrich or just plain leather animal

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, this year we've added another 8 Glocks in G17 and G19 for a total now of 22 Glocks, 20 Mosberg 12 gauge, and 4 CZ 550 (donated) to the field.

The Glocks were a good move as they saved the operation more than $15,000 USD and the natives are damn tough on equipment so we don't cry too much over the condition when they return from the field. Personally I despise the things but they go bang when you pull the trigger.

As I said before, I prefer Sigs as they have always been my carry gun, but when in Africa, you don't have a lot of choices.

For the record, can I afford a Blazer easily, but they have a terrible record in Namibia and I couldn't bring myself to display one around my hunting and gun friends; I would never hear the end of it. I would rather date a fat chick with one eye. At least I could explain that one away on bad decision making under the influence of Scotch. There's simply no fucking excuse for owning a Blaser.

Yes yes impress us with your success. 9 hunting camps in Namibia - any ar member ever hunted one or any hunt reports on it ?

Credited investor - imagine running 9 hunting camps in German dominated Namibia with German dominated blaser rifles. What stories do you tell your clients (most likely fiction so fictional stories around fictional mopani fires work) about how blaser rifles suck Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

Plain leather on the success but I did buy high end leather cleaner. No Walmart slumming here dancing

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Yes yes impress us with your success. 9 hunting camps in Namibia - any ar member ever hunted one or any hunt reports on it ?

Credited investor - imagine running 9 hunting camps in German dominated Namibia with German dominated blaser rifles. What stories do you tell your clients (most likely fiction so fictional stories around fictional mopani fires work) about how blaser rifles suck Big Grin

Mike

Mike I've never said that I operate 9 hunting camps. That's the bullshit you and others have created in your childish little minds. I suppose it makes you feel good to repeat time and time again.

And I don't have to tell anyone that Blaser rifles don't handle dusty, sandy environments. Most have figured that out for themselves.

Apparently you were not raised in a gun culture and are relatively new to firearms and hunting. I know you're trying hard to fit in and I congratulate your efforts. Like you, we all started out not knowing shit. And we certainly need more hunters and gun owners fighting to preserve our rights. But please don't pretend you know what you are doing or have any meaningful insight. You have a long way to go.

So carry on with the pathetic ad hominem attacks as that seems to be all you can contribute. coffee

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

Jim, I found two unicorns in a gun shop in Swakop - Glock Gen 5 19X. The guys didn't know much about them and had forgotten they had ordered them almost a year earlier - welcome to Africa. As far a Glocks go, they shoot very well and are plenty accurate; more so than the average Glock.

I am not a fan of striker fire and therefore they are not my sidearm of choice. But as I said, I don't cry when I see them caked in dust after a few days in the bush.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well we moved pretty quickly from using a Blaser as a LR rifle to Glocks vs the rest to just plain hanging shit on each other.

Some sort of speed record there, surely Smiler

Some good points in there, but I don't see what the shit slinging adds to anything.

I own Blaser product. I am not a blind fan boy. If the very real benefits of the system are of no use to someone, it makes no sense to buy one.

I find the Namibian feedback interesting as a look at the underside of a Blaser bolt has always concerned me as regards the possible results of dust, silt, rock flour getting in there. The line is that it doesn't get in because the action is closed, and if it does get in, you simply wash it out. I don't know about that - my approach would be to try very hard to avoid it getting in there.
Either way just spinning the whole cocking piece out with a conventional bolt and a 3 po safety appeals more

I also don't see any point in using one in any of the accuracy games, or as genuine sniper rifle, because although their out of the box accuracy is superb, it can be bettered by a much simpler good old two lug turn bolt, albeit after much tuning/blueprinting time and expense.

Horses for courses gents. If you need that fuss free performance, take down/switch barrel flexibility, good trigger and compactness they can't be beat.

These features are particularly valued in their home market, but if they are of no use or value to someone, there are more suitable options.

Both, apparently entrenched, sides of this would benefit from keeping an open mind.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
secondtry - Some children can't leave their weakass crap on the playground. Mike has a large, inoperable chip on his shoulder and it's terminal bless his little heart.

Anywho, I've shot a lot of different Blazers in a lot of calibers at Blaser Safaris at the Sney River Lodge in Namibia. A friend from SA was their head PH for a while so I spent some time there shooting the new Blasers and Mausers.

The Blaser design is a solution to a problem that didn't exist. And the new Mauser is an abomination to the name. But, like any product, both are well marketed and many have purchased. Doesn't make one a bad person.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike I've never said that I operate 9 hunting camps. That's the bullshit you and others have created in your childish little minds. I suppose it makes you feel good to repeat time and time again.

And I don't have to tell anyone that Blaser rifles don't handle dusty, sandy environments. Most have figured that out for themselves.

Apparently you were not raised in a gun culture and are relatively new to firearms and hunting. I know you're trying hard to fit in and I congratulate your efforts. Like you, we all started out not knowing shit. And we certainly need more hunters and gun owners fighting to preserve our rights. But please don't pretend you know what you are doing or have any meaningful insight. You have a long way to go.

So carry on with the pathetic ad hominem attacks as that seems to be all you can contribute. coffee

Agreed. This Mike guy isn't even experienced enough to know what he doesn't know, which is obviously a lot. As I have told many people when we were guiding years and years of hunters......there are wealthy guys who hunt, and there are wealthy hunters, and there is a huge difference.

Posts: 30 | Registered: 10 June 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not faulting anyone for trying. We all started out not knowing shit. It's just a shame that guys like Mike do not have friends or family members that could take him under their wing and assist with his knowledge base. You can tell he's really struggling and making uninformed statements.

Other than his shitty persona and childish behavior, I wish him well in his endeavors. Maybe there's hope for him...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish him well too, but I think his pride gets in the way. A couple of very simple phone calls, etc would have him well on his way to developing a long range setup. Doing it his way, he'll be laughed off the range with a long range Blaser and Blaser scope, and factory ammo.

Heck, he'd be better off with an off the shelf Tikka CTR 6.5CM that that abomination he's so proud of.

Posts: 30 | Registered: 10 June 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
While not my first choice (nor second) for longrange---

I spent a fair amount of time behind Blaser Tactical rifles in 7.62x51 and 338LM, suppressed and not suppressed .

They were serviceable units. generally accurate enough for the task at hand, though not enough to displace the frontrunners we eventually adopted.

Best one mile (1760) 10 shot group out of the 338LM was barely "mansize" while as I recall at 1000 it landed in second place.

The 7.62 fared well at the shorter ranges though it was a bit heavy and awkward.

They were fast for follow shots-- though we were not supposed to need follow-ups Wink

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't besmirch anyone's choice in firearms. That said it is a proprietary action and like many German products it is complicated. It most likely will not show up at any competitive events because it would be a nightmare to barrel and scope mounts directly on the barrel. No doubt it is fast and plenty accurate enough to hunt with. If that's your thing, good for you.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grubbs:
I wish him well too, but I think his pride gets in the way. A couple of very simple phone calls, etc would have him well on his way to developing a long range setup. Doing it his way, he'll be laughed off the range with a long range Blaser and Blaser scope, and factory ammo.

Heck, he'd be better off with an off the shelf Tikka CTR 6.5CM that that abomination he's so proud of.

Foolish pride and educated beyond his intelligence level.....

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post