THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Need help Me the cheep _ss got me in a pickle

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help Me the cheep _ss got me in a pickle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted
Question? Man gets new toy, man buys used scope, man sights in new toy, man shoots new toy, after 10 shots scope is off no movement of scope or rings I know cheep _ass should have just bought new scope, now the problem, got new scope, the only ammo I have now is untested reloads how do you think I should go about sighting in this gun now and I cannot find any factory ammo (.338 Lapua)Thanks in advance for any input. Happy shooting.

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot the gun at 25yds. to zero it.

Then, shoot at 100yds, again just to zero it.

Once sighted in at 100yds. , start testing your handloads.

Shoot the best of them at longer range.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't say what scope you bought. Bore sight the gun and scope ie. with pistol target (large black) at 25 yards remove bolt, center the black in the bore and then without moving the gun adjust the scope so that it is centered on the black. Shoot one round. Should be on the paper somewhere. Holding the gun steady, adjust the gun so the crosshairs are centered on the target, then adjust the crosshairs so that they are centered on the hole you just created. You can shoot one more round (if you want to)and it should be in the center of the black. Set up target at 100 yards. Shoot one round. You should be on the paper. Adjust the scope to whatever you want eg. if you want to shoot at 200 yards, zero it at say 2" high at 100. Shoot for groups!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 44 | Registered: 13 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Or luckygunner.com. If it isn't in stock it won't be on their website.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
You don't say what scope you bought. Bore sight the gun and scope ie. with pistol target (large black) at 25 yards remove bolt, center the black in the bore and then without moving the gun adjust the scope so that it is centered on the black. Shoot one round. Should be on the paper somewhere. Holding the gun steady, adjust the gun so the crosshairs are centered on the target, then adjust the crosshairs so that they are centered on the hole you just created. You can shoot one more round (if you want to)and it should be in the center of the black. Set up target at 100 yards. Shoot one round. You should be on the paper. .

That is the method I use to get a good basic dial in. The key is to mount the gun into a steady rest. The first time I did this years ago I just fashioned a rest out of wood. Takes the guess work out of sighting in and is possible to get into the 10 ring with one shot..

Posts: 10135 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post