New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question Re: Bipod Use
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I shoot mostly from the bench these days and have always used a good front rest and a leather rear bag. For some unfathomable reason I have ended up with 3 rifles equipped with bipods. I like them but how do you support the rear stock? My bare fist is not high enough and any of my bags are too high (?).

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Something like this works well. Midway USA Tactical Rear Shooting Rest Bag Olive Drab Large Cylinder

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
At our local range, small carpet remnants are available for protecting your rifles or for that very reason. Might suggest getting some and try using them. You can pick them up at Home Depot, etc.

Posts: 18517 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys; I'll try 'em.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A regular bean bag under your closed fist seems to work for me with my smaller Harris bipods, but for the larger ones, it becomes more problematic.

I sometimes take an extra sandbag and turn it on end and wedge it between my armpit. If I get it just right, I am solid as ice.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking for myself only, I wouldn't be caught dead with a bipod or any contraption hanging on my rifle..from a hunters standpoint that is..Id spend that money on ammo or components and learn to shoot..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry my bipod in my daypack; if the animal is within 300 yards I just shoot sitting with a sling. If I need the bipod, there is generally plenty of time to get it out.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I carry my bipod in my daypack; if the animal is within 300 yards I just shoot sitting with a sling. If I need the bipod, there is generally plenty of time to get it out.

^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Making hits at distance has many factors.

A bi-pod can be the very steady rest one needs to make the shot.

I have killed game standing, prone, kneeing, sitting using, rocks, brush, trees, packs shoulders and other items for rests.

Using a bi-pod is one of the nicest and steadiest things to use in make a longer shot.

If conditions allow.

All my bolt actions are set up and bedded for bi-pod use.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to Short Action Precision website. Look at their small rear bags, they work great. The precision rifle guys have the bipod-bag game worked out.
Scott

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Sportsman's Warehouse...lots of neat bags filled with corn cob media that work great...I have several types, front/rear and single. Light weight, small to large...they even work great for my heaviest 15+ lb benchrest/long range/ large cal rifles on the bench...as good as lead sleds but a LOT lighter.

I've been using bipods as long as I can remember, mostly because most of my rifles had heavy #5-cylinder contour barrels and just too heavy to shot in other than prone or supported positions. I also liked them because I could position the legs either pointing to the front or rear(to protect the stock) and even folded the legs gave a nice flat, level position over a limb, rock, pack, hat or whatever.

Even my latest 25 cal Daystate Air Wolf airgun will have one as soon as I install a picatinney rail or other mount point for it.

Fit your toy's accessories to the job at hand...each job requires different tools, but many times it is better to have a couple extra tools than not enough. Cool

Good Shooting tu2 beer

Posts: 1211 | Registered: 25 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
90% of the time I have no need for a bipod but there's 10% of the time, when shooting in the field, that it's the cat's mew.

I never seem to have a rear bag in the field but extra clothing and the left hand (I'm right handed)works well for those shots that allow time and require the bipod.

I ascribe to the thinking that too much junk in the field makes for a crappy hunter/shooter but there are those time when this is a device that pays dividends for carrying it in the pack.

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bipod on my Rem 700 Police in .308 Win. I have made more consecutive 200 yd plus one shot "bang flops" on mule deer with this combination then any of my other rifles.

With the exception of my 45-70, my .22, my AR, and my .416 Rem Mag, I use bipods on all my rifles.

One of the nicest things about having a bipod on rifle is you never have to look for a place to lean your rifle on when you want to set it down. You just flip down the bipods and set it on the ground.

To me, that alone that is worth the extra weight of the bipods.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
At our local range, small carpet remnants are available for protecting your rifles or for that very reason. Might suggest getting some and try using them. You can pick them up at Home Depot, etc.
tu2

Posts: 1317 | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing not mentioned in this string is that bipods come in different lengths; the one best for sitting doesn't work well in prone and the prone model doesn't work at all sitting. I actually carry both models in my pack if I think I might need either, but I didn't bother last Oct for brown bear, deer in MN in Nov, Africa in June, or Australia last month. The last time I used one hunting was a mule deer at 408 yards shot sitting.

Seriously, with just a bit of practice and a shooting sling, you don't need a bipod out to 300. I shot an impala in June that way at about 250; he was looking right at us; we didn't have sticks at the time.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
I shoot mostly from the bench these days and have always used a good front rest and a leather rear bag. For some unfathomable reason I have ended up with 3 rifles equipped with bipods. I like them but how do you support the rear stock? My bare fist is not high enough and any of my bags are too high (?).

I'd be more interested in how the bipod reacts during recoil. I shoot hunting rifles at the bench off the same fanny pack I carry in the field.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post