Tools

Question Re: Bipod Use
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd be more interested in how the bipod reacts during recoil

They recoil.

Might bonce a bit if on a real hard surface.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread reminded me of the review I did of the Atras bipod here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1022351/m/4821020222

To the OP: most bipods have adjustable length legs. Between that and a rear bag of some sort it's usually easy enough to adjust elevation. There are probably a bunch of videos and articles online about how to use a bibod. There are certainly a variety of them on the market as well.

My personal preference is for the Atlas/Atras type bipods that can pan and cant/tilt. This makes positioning and adjusting the legs less critical, because you can plunk down pointed in roughly the right direction and adjust the rifle and rear bag to get on target pretty quick. They also have a little forwards/backwards play in the legs. For LR I can usually load the bipod forwards slightly and spot impacts: under recoil the rifle will rock back on the legs (sliding in the rear bag), then forwards again without disturbing the feet and will return to the original position in time to see the bullet land.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never could master the sticks the Africans are so fond of, I think a bi pod stuck on the end of a gun ruins all that's holy on one of my rifles, its awkward, and cumberson to pack all day..Having one in a back pack would be better but will you have time or the need to use one..I don't need a by pod to shoot 300 yards, and I have plenty of time to find a rock, log or some natural rest at those ranges..

Im not knocking by pods or anything else that helps one shoot better, just stating a personal opinion..Ive never needed one, nor wanted anything to pack around that I can get away without..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post