Find
Notify
Tools

Long range shooting technique
 Login/Join

Picture of Son_of_the_gun
posted
Hey all,
I have been shooting since I was big enough to hold a rifle, and by now I’ve learned some techniques that deal with the actual act of pulling the trigger. For instance take a deep breath and hold it then squeeze the trigger yadda yadda. But I am rather new to the long range scene and was wondering if there were any other top secret techniques that are more focused on getting good groups at long range. Or am I just overthinking it all?

Thanks, Luke

Posts: 9 | Location: Corvallis, Montana  | Registered: 01 June 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Become one with gun, grasshopper.

Om, Om, Om.

Once you go through the initial mechanical act of getting the rifle settled on the rest, good stock weld, rifle not canting, then it is just a matter of breath control and correct timing of the touch off.

I've found I shoot better at longer ranges, if I become still within myself and focus solely on the sight picture.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a match trigger! Seriously!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
There aren't really any different shooting "techniques" - you could shoot at 100 yards over and over. When I was young, my goal was to put ten shots inside 5 inches at 300 yards shooting sitting with a sling. Those skills helped a lot once I mastered that and moved further.

Long range shooting is different in that the wind is the biggest factor in a hit or a miss. If it isn't, then you really need to work on fundamentals.

There are also loading techniques, eg, getting SD as low as possible so that your vertical "spread" at long ranges is 1/2 MOA or better but that is really a different topic.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Yea there is, but I doubt it's a top secret. It's called breath control. Do not hold your breath, but rather control your breathing. Depriving the body of oxygen doesn't make it shoot better, it makes it shoot worse.
So keep breathing at your normal rate this keeps your heart rate stable. Next thing, relax and focus on what you are doing, spend time in the scope, many shooters get in the scope just long enough to fire the shot then immediately look to the spotter for confirmation for hit or miss staying in the scope and following thru, your shot ends when you see the end result of the shot seeing the hit or miss thru the rifles scope, very important. This will help you get in the groove so to speak, not just covering a target and yanking the lanyard and hoping for the best.
Control it, press the breath out, stability, squeeze, bullet in flight, watch the hit or miss, correct if needed, repeat.

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
Natural point of aim is essential marksmanship. For more information on marksmanship, check these links. Listed below are the links to the National Match Competition, Long-Range Target Shooting, and the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/
http://www.usrifleteams.com/lrforum/index.php??
http://thecmp.org/

DR #2276, P-100 2021

Posts: 100 | Registered: 04 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say a lot of trigger time with an accurate training rifle, 22rf, air rifle, 223, etc. Natural point of aim is big, breathing yes, but not holding a full breath. Just pause your breath at neutral pressure (halfway between your inhale and exhale). The more you shoot the more you’ll do many of those things automatically without thought. One of my best performances at a Service Rifle competition was after a summer of shooting thousand of pellets through a HW-97 field target air rifle. Mostly at paper, blackbirds and groundhogs. Much of it off hand. My timing/trigger control was at a high point and birds 60+ yards didn’t stand a chance. That’s not ‘long range’ by any means but it carries over to any distance you’re shooting.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
I often carry a .22 rifle to the range when shooting my centerfires. If I am exhibiting bad habits or rushing shots, I stop and shoot 30 or 40 rounds wither .22 at 25 yds.

By the time I hit 20 rounds or so, I am getting fingernail sized groups.

Going back to my CF, I find my groups have improved greatly.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
Yea there is, but I doubt it's a top secret. It's called breath control. Do not hold your breath, but rather control your breathing. Depriving the body of oxygen doesn't make it shoot better, it makes it shoot worse.
So keep breathing at your normal rate this keeps your heart rate stable. Next thing, relax and focus on what you are doing, spend time in the scope, many shooters get in the scope just long enough to fire the shot then immediately look to the spotter for confirmation for hit or miss staying in the scope and following thru, your shot ends when you see the end result of the shot seeing the hit or miss thru the rifles scope, very important. This will help you get in the groove so to speak, not just covering a target and yanking the lanyard and hoping for the best.
Control it, press the breath out, stability, squeeze, bullet in flight, watch the hit or miss, correct if needed, repeat.

A chain is only as strong as the weakest link. In the chain of events that takes place in long range shooting, the weakest link is the same whether it is at 300 yds or 1000. Our own lack of stability.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:

A chain is only as strong as the weakest link. In the chain of events that takes place in long range shooting, the weakest link is the same whether it is at 300 yds or 1000. Our own lack of stability.

No, it is the wind. You can buy a RF to measure the distance, a bipod to make you steady, etc. You can help yourself immeasurably by shooting a high BC bullet fast, but the only way to master LR shooting is to master the wind.

The first thing I think about after measuring the range is the wind, and I constantly watch it until I am ready to pull the trigger.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
quote:

No, it is the wind. You can buy a RF to measure the distance, a bipod to make you steady, etc. You can help yourself immeasurably by shooting a high BC bullet fast, but the only way to master LR shooting is to master the wind.

The first thing I think about after measuring the range is the wind, and I constantly watch it until I am ready to pull the trigger.

I would think that reading the wind would fall under the category of knowledge rather than technique. But your point is well taken.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
quote:

I would think that reading the wind would fall under the category of knowledge rather than technique. But your point is well taken.

Fair enough; like I said on a question of bipod loading, a lot of guys get hung up on little things that may be important, but once you start shooting long on days the wind is blowing, all of those things are non-issues.

One thing I have learned is that it is a waste of time to try and learn to shoot in the wind at LR with a rifle that can't shoot 1/2 MOA or better. Perhaps you hit 7 inches left holding 2 MOA at 800 - was that a bad wind call or simply a shot that would have landed 1/2 MOA left with no wind (ie, a 1 MOA rifle)? The 1/2 MOA rifle's shot would have hit 2" left, moving 7 inch to the left shot to 5 inches, which is my goal in LR shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The secret is to shoot a lot after going to some good training. I went to SAAM school and learned a bunch. Now I shoot like I want to shoot.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only been hunting with him for couple days in Scotland. Both AnotherAZ Writer andn his bride are super people. And I know he is a damn good long range shooter. When he posts, I read and listen.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words MD