Find
Notify
Tools

30-378 for long range
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barrel life is around 2,000 rds.
It took me about 20 rds to get my rifle dialed in to where I wanted it after breaking it in properly.
I have 6 different hammers: 28oz straight claw, 22oz straight claw, 20oz curved claw, (2) 16oz 1 with wood handle & 1 with fiberglass.
& 28 0z with no claws but hatchet
No matter which hammer I use I always hit the nail.
Practice is what it took, it didn't matter what hammer.
Shooting is like that.
I learned WHERE my 30-378 was hitting. It hit the same place all my other rifles were sighted in at.
You do have to learn windage but it can be with any rifle. Just like learning to swing a hammer.

Since it depends on where , I am hunting, what I am hunting, & how far I will be shooting @ 2,000 rds for barrel life the 258 rds I have left will probably last me the rest of my life.
BTW : here is a good tip on windage:
https://www.policeone.com/poli...-for-police-snipers/

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You get how many rounds out of a 30-378 Wby?

the URL looks interesting, but I really would prefer to know where they are without having to contact them to find out...

Anybody know?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
You get how many rounds out of a 30-378 Wby?

the URL looks interesting, but I really would prefer to know where they are without having to contact them to find out...

Anybody know?

"Back in 1996 I spoke with Chronister about his accomplishments in 1,000-yard competition and asked him how often he replaced the barrel on his rifle. He told me every 2,000 rounds. That’s not a lot of shooting for a varmint shooter, but it is more rounds than some hunters fire in a rifle during a lifetime."

http://www.rifleshootermag.com...378weatherby_201006/

BTW: I got my 30-378 in 2001. I had built all the display cabinets in a gun shop. Someone had special ordered it put $1,000 down and never came back & could not be contacted. The owner of said store who became a good friend offered it to me for the balance owed.

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan Lilja showed up at my place with his 30-416 Sniper about 20 years ago. Fantastic 1000+ yard Rockchuck rifle, with no dorky belt or shoulder.

Today, I think I would just build a standard 300 RUM.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post