Find
Notify
Tools

338/378 or 378 with VLDs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I have a 378 Weatherby (yes it does kick), and was thinking about doing a long range rifle on that action based on a 338/378 Weatherby.

Then I found out that Sierra makes a 350 Grain VLD Sierra Match King for the 375. And a couple other people make similar bullets.

So now I got some loading to do. Why fix what isn't broke.

My internet searches have lead me to beleive that the 378 with the 350 VLD will actually out perform the majority of everything else.

A couple of people have said that they are making groups at 1000 that could have been made by a very good 115 6mm DTAC in a great rifle.

I am doubtful I will get that with my 1980's Jap factory barrel, but if I get going down this road and am happy with the results, there is nothing stopping me from a new barrel.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm all for fun gun projects, "just because", but this would essentially be a complicated way to build a belted 338 Lapua (416 Rigby case necked to 338 with slightly thicker brass to better handle the pressure) our of a 378W (416 Rigby case with a belt).

If you just like Weatherbys and want something unique, go for it. I think 338L data would be in the ballpark of starting data depending on the internal volume of the actual cases used.

Either way, 350s sounds like serious medicine.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about just building a big laminate stock and installing an 8-32 and seeing what I can do to this thing the way it sits with the 350 Grain Sierra 375 bullets.

My gunsmith buddy back in Australia keeps telling me that he has built a few 375 Chey Tac rifles for clients and that while the 375 CT is much more than the 378 Weatherby is I could use the same kind of system.

I am thinking I am game.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Iowa we had a abundance of deer for a while and a January rifle season for antlerless deer. I shot a bunch of them with my .338/.378 with a heavier 28-inch barrel without a muzzle brake. I used 225-grain Nosler Accubonds at 3,330 fps which made 1-inch exit holes in deer at 750 yards. It may not have been the very optimum set-up but worked well for my purposes.

Posts: 278 | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is built on a 1917 remington enfield, has a 32'' barrel all 5 bullets first target touched, I too wanted to launch the 350 smk via 378 weatherby, will take up later as I am on ammo conservation right now possibly later on will actually get out and try 1500 yard range.

Posts: 85 | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it would be great, if you could get somebody else to shoot it for you. R-e-c-o-i-l...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This gun went to Alaska, problem solved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shot from a rest recoil was unnoticeable, heard alot of tales on how bad the weatherby kicks, it is actually my favorite big bore to shoot.

Posts: 85 | Registered: 07 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post