THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Long range bullet heads ,berger or what else?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long range bullet heads ,berger or what else?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Retumbo or H 1000??

200 Grain Sierra Match Kings are looking like maybe my choice of head

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of the 300 RUM I got better velocity and just as good accuracy with Retumbo. That was with 200gr AB's and a 30" barrel. 3250 fps.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience with Bergers in the 300RUM Rory, but Rl-25 with under 190's was the best powder by far.

200grs and up I got fantastic velocity and accuracy with VN N-570 in 3 different barrels...

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heard great things on accuracy, but how do the Bergers perform on game? Personal experience would be appreciated.

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't trust them on African game.

Have used extensively (in calibres other than 300RUM) on feral game/roos here in Australia. They are very variable in their expansion, sometimes they will pencil through, other times they are very frangible.

For LR shooting in Africa I would stick to Swift Sciroccos....very high BC, won't blow to pieces on a close shot and are very accurate.

The new Hornady ELD-X look promising too, but are not core bonded.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Berger VLD Hunting bullets have a pretty good reputation on North American large game.

Even Barnes agrees that Berger are hard to beat for LR work. Many of the specialty shops loading LR ammo are loading Berger VLD-H heads.

http://www.longrangehunting.co...et-performance-1.php

I mostly use Barnes today for my hunting bullets since I have to source and reload outside of the US.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a box of 200 Grain Hornady ELD-X. Hornady has the load data with Retumbo and RL-25.

I have decided to initially go with 200 grain boat tail/spitzer projectiles for everything so the jump from shooting to hunting projectiles will be minimal.
Hornady Load Data

Retumbo - 80.9 - 93.6 although I have a friend loading 98 grains at 3300 +

RL-25 78.7 - 89.7 grains.

My rifle is getting some work on it, so no shot comparison yet. However I am loading test rounds with retumbo, starting with 8 rounds at 86 grains and working up 2 grains at a time to 94 grains. 94 grains should give me around 3200 fps

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post